Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
grx2004uk

Default simple FXPing question (hopefully)

i know your ment to provide the following infomation about version, computer, router, internet connection but i don't think my question requires any of that,

i've read the FAQ and searched through the forum board to see if anyone has had the same question as me before, an may have had it answered but i can't seem to find anything ...

here is my question i know you can't FXP from two servers running NT (site 2 site) i understand about the port commands and the pasv mode settings, but what i can't find anywhere is anything saying if the Host Server your transfering from has to have the fxp setting enabled, i know the destination server needs this enabled to allow the direct transfer but does the host machine your transfering the data from have to have fxp enabled?

Hope someone can help with this small question

ty
Old 05-26-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

as you know in ftp protocol client sends PORT or PASV before it actually tells server what it's going to do with it.

so if server doesn't allow PORT command with ip other than your own, it will refuse that action no matter if next command is going to be uploading or downloading...

with PASV command server won't know who will connect to it untill after you tell it about uploads or downloads, but still as soon as it sees that somebody else other than you are trying to connect to it, it might refuse that connection.

so in other words from server's point of view there is pretty much no difference if it's being FXP to or from.

granted some more advanced servers might have dedicated settings to explicitly allow/deny incoming/outgoing FXP tranfers, but then you wouldn't have this question

Tags
enabled, find, fxp, question, site