Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 03-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
gozu

Default I need Fast FTP servers for SpeedTesting

Hi everybody. I'm having speed problems with my ISP and I need lots of hard data to shove in their throats. See, I always get great speeds from their servers (http://myacc.net/speedtest/) and they keep blaming any other servers I download from instead of listening to me and trying to fix the problem. For them, as long as my ping to the gateway is good and the modem's noise levels are good, it can't be their fault.

So what I need are LOTS and LOTS of FAST public ftp servers that have at least one file of several Mb in size so that I can speedtest from. Web based speedtests are not accurate nor reliable enough. What I'm looking for are your typical ISP, University or Company ftps on a big fat pipe. I'll need at least 40 or 50 of those if I want to make a solid case.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Some examples of ftp servers I can use: ftp1.optonline.net , ftp.ea.com

Thank you all for your time.

ps: I use flashfxp for all my speedtesting. that's why I'm posting this here

pps: this should be obvious, but just in case: keep them public and legal.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

ftp.uu.net
i belive it's on T3 trunk
you can find some big files there

also obvious ones are like ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.netscape.com

you might want to try distributed downloading too. bittorrent is a good choice. find linux distro with alot of "seeds". there will be plenty of bandwidth and file will be large enough to reach your maximum sustainable rate
Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
gozu

Ok, that's 2. I need 48 more.

Bittorrent is no good. Not accurate, not reliable (same results over and over), and it just doesn't serve my purpose (which is to have hard data to hand to the ISP).

Participation in this thread has been quite underwhelming. c'mon guys! You use flashfxp and can't come up with a few high speed ftp servers? what KIND of ftp servers do you all use anyways?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:57 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

you can provide them with hard data using bittorent being monitored by http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread...&threadid=2400 or PRTG
Old 03-05-2004, 01:55 AM   #5
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

what is it you need excactly, a fast server where you can thread multible time from/to it or something?

Tags
ftp, good, lots, public, servers