Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 10-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
thebeershirtguy
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Still connected but remote window blank.

Hello,

My remote connection window goes blank intermittnely but usually pretty soon after connecting to my server. I am using FlashFXP at the request of my host after a disaster with WSFTP_Pro where it would open hundreds of connections and die repeatedly during transfer or idle.

But the same problem is happening with FlashFXP except that it only opens about 50 connections according to my host. What happens is my remote connection window goes blank and FXP hangs. I have read many posts in the last 2 hours and done some work to figure this out but am still at a loss.

Here goes.

FlashFXP Version 2.1 (Build 924)
Windows XP Home
Zone Alarm 3.7.211
TrueVector 3.7.211
Driver Version 3.7.211
Host FTP server: ProFTPD 1.2.8

Log of last connect.

Connecting to ftp.buckssupply.com
Connected to ftp.buckssupply.com -> IP=63.247.78.130 PORT=21
220-This computer system is for authorized users only. Individuals using this
system without authority or in excess of their authority are subject to
having all their activities on this system monitored and recorded or
examined by any authorized person, including law enforcement, as system
personnel deem appropriate. In the course of monitoring individuals
improperly using the system or in the course of system maintenance, the
activities of authorized users may also be monitored and recorded. Any
material so recorded may be disclosed as appropriate. Anyone using this
system consents to these terms.

220 ProFTPD 1.2.8 Server (ProFTPD) [host.hidden-server.com]
USER ksmith
331 Password required for T.
PASS (hidden)
230 User T logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
REST 100
350 Restarting at 100. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
CWD /public_html/
250 CWD command successful.
PWD
257 "/public_html" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (63,247,78,130,195,180).
LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
226 Transfer complete.
List Complete: 1 KB in 0.33 (1.96 KBps)
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (63,247,78,130,195,184).
STOR index.php
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for index.php
226 Transfer complete.
Transferred: index.php 22 KB in 0.80 (22.39 KBps)
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (63,247,78,130,195,185).
LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

The last line is not a disconnect but is when the remote server display goes blank and I am unable so view the files or refresh to view them. The middle display says their are 0 Folders, 0 files. I installed Active ports to watch all my ports and it seems that data being sent back from the server was being blocked. I then checked my firewall and that IP was blocked so I allowed it and attempted again. Active ports still shows the server IP and port as blocked even though firwall doesn't. Next step was to shut off firewall and attempt connections. I have added the sending of the NOOP command to keep connection alive but it too fails to resolve the problme. My web host is using earlier verion of FXP without firewall and not experiencing any of the same troubles that I am. But I have the same result everytime; which is the log above.

It seems that the connections back from the server are being blocked and that the server keeps sending them because the connection was never properly closed. Thus when I reopen FTP app it creates new connections to server and problems start all over with many connections being added and not closed. This increases server load sky high. Needless to say my host isn't very happy and neither am I. I am getting frustrated.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 10-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

when you get empty dir list, go to "Directory" menu, "View Raw Directory".
do you see anything there?

also as a troubleshooting step, try to completly uninstall ZA. disabling it sometimes isn't enough. make sure it's uninstalled, it's services are gone and TrueVector is gone too.
once that is done, try to use FlashFXP and see if that makes any difference. if so then it's ZA to blame..
do you have any type of routers on your connection?

also what's your Antivirus software?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
thebeershirtguy
FlashFXP Registered User

Sorry it has taken me this long to get back with a reply I had to go to work where I am right now and can't answer in full about the type or version of Anti-virus software I am running. I am beginning to think it may be the anti-virus software because I have duplicated my problem here at work and the Virus software brand is the same. I contacted another guy here at work to ask him if he could help and he says that he has been having similar problems here at work and at home witih FTP. No specific client just every one that he uses.

What I am running here at work is Virus Scan 7.0, Virus definitions 4298, Scan Engine 4.2.60 from October 15, 2003. I may be way off base with this Virus Scan thing but it is the only thing that is the same for me at work and at home.

I don't know what firewall is running here but I am sure it is much better than my Zone Alarm since we have about 10,000 employees and an IT department.

I do not have a router set up. I have a cable connection through an external Surfboard Modem that I can get more specific on later tonight when I get home.

Thank you MxxCon for responding anyone that can help me figure this one out and get me back into business can have some goodies from my sites http://www.thebeershirtguy.com and http://www.buckssupply.com/store.

This is a big deal for me because my web host will won't allow me to test or use my FTP unless I am online messaging them while doing so they they can monitor and I need to get this going.

Tags
connection, connections, mode, server, system