General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
palladium

Default FTP Server Looking for help with Clients with Firewalls/Routers

* FlashFXP v[2].[1], build [924], [X]registered, [X]unregistered, [X]pirated
* OS [X] WinXP, [X] Win2K, [X] Win98, [X] WinME, [X] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [X] Yes & Model [Any],
* Network [X] xDSL, [X] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [X] Other

Im an FTP Server Admin Looking to allow my Users behind a NAT Router or Other Firewall to Connect to my Server without Any extra config. (Im running behind a NAT Router, too, and cant get out from behind it). I Am Running the server on a Machine as DMZ Host and have additionally attempted to forward Port 21(The FTP Port) to no avail. I Have made every config Tweak I can think of, and None of them seem to help. The Nat-users always get stuck at the LIST. I See them COnnect and time out, and I cant do anything to help them. Running Cerberus FTP Server Version 2.1.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Default Re: FTP Server Looking for help with Clients with Firewalls/Routers

Quote:
Originally posted by palladium
* FlashFXP v[2].[1], build [924], [X]registered, [X]unregistered, [X]pirated
Old 06-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

you will need to contact Cerberus FTP Server support and/or support for your router to figure out how to forward correct ports.
i recommend you read http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html for a good explanation of how ftp protocol works.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
palladium

Default Re: Re: FTP Server Looking for help with Clients with Firewalls/Routers

Quote:
Originally posted by DYN_DaTa
Pertains to all Users of all versions of the program, both Regged, Unregged, and Warezed.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

no support will be provided to users who illigaly registred/modified FlashFXP.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:48 AM   #6
palladium

Nathan0: First Impressions carry alot of weight with myself, though For me, they arent everything.

Shark: Most of the Products I Recomend to Friends and Clients are Superior products with Superior Support and an Overall good User experience.

Shark: Also, I Say Clearly I have only used Trial/Sharewear versions, but I Do not know what version(s) my Clients are running, and I Would like All clients, regardless of what they use, to be able to access my server.

Shark: Im a Quite Firm believer in the GPL Business Model, and Believe that it COntributes to a Superior Quality product, and Still allows for Profit.

Shark: I Think you Did misread it a bit :-S Look a bit more closely
Old 06-26-2003, 02:54 AM   #7
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
A Good admin will Base a Decision of a recommended product Not only on Quality of the product, but also on the Quality of Support and Other things as well that contribute to the whole user experience. So far Im not satisfied with the Support Im getting here.

A good admin think before posting things like "[X]pirated".

whole user experience?, you mean using FlashFXP pirated copies? lol. Don't come here 'teaching' people how they should support the program when you recognize that you have (or had used) a FlashFXP pirated copy.

FlashFXP quality and its support are awesome. That's a fact.

[One minute later]

Quote:
Shark: Also, I Say Clearly I have only used Trial/Sharewear versions, but I Do not know what version(s) my Clients are running, and I Would like All clients, regardless of what they use, to be able to access my server.
I didn`t read your last post because i was writing this one... sorry.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:07 AM   #8
palladium

DYN_Data: No Prob

EDIT: Id Like to Post in Off Topic about the Piracy thing, If its okay, and continue a debate about it there
Old 06-26-2003, 04:17 AM   #9
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Quote:
don't you think it'll be easier to correctly configure a single server once, instead of 100/1000s of different configurations for each client that's having problem?
Thats what Im Trying to Do here
but this is support for FlashFXP not Cerberus FTPD..
to resolve your problem you'll have to consult documentation/support for Cerberus FTPD.
personally i never used that software so i can not tell you the exact steps needed to take to properly configure it.
however i can tell you general setup that should work, which is you clients must be able to contact the server at control connection port(often port 21) and data connection ports (some range of ports above 1025). since you said putting your machine in DMZ does not solve this problem you'll have to look into regular port forwarding for your router/firewall.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:56 AM   #10
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:

Shark: I Think you Did misread it a bit :-S Look a bit more closely
I dont think I did misread totally.. in your original post, as dyn pointed out.. you did tick the pirated box.. thats why I said why I did... however as above, you now say you dont use that version..

So, I guess disregard my original comment... I can only suggest being more careful what you post, the piracy issue can cause, umm, well 'debate' to say the least
Old 06-26-2003, 06:05 AM   #11
palladium

Okay, I Added a block of ports from 1025 to 2025 forwarded to me. If that doesnt fix it, then Fcuck. (I already consulted cerberus for help. They said forward port 21.) The Reason I ask Here for help, is because Here I see alot of people finding Client Side solutions, but Noone finding Server side Solutions, and I Would like to Not put my Clients thru any more hastle then having to click "Use Passive Mode".
Im Just running a Small Personal server/Testing server, so Im not attracting a large Unknown client base (all my clients are friends as well, save one or two I Think). I Provide an Upstart server with all the features of a Large server (scripting, database, SMTP, and Possibly Pop E-mail soon) for those who Are underpriveleged enough that they cant afford a commercial host. Many of my clients are Basically learning web design or server side scripting. a few use it to Hotlink images for forum avatars, and one friend is Using it to host an Image gallery. I Dont charge my Clients, Because I know what theyre going thru (Iv been there myself, Still am :-S) Its hard Not being able to afford to Pay for a server, let alone the tools you need to design your site, But we should Still not be Denied the right to learn Just because we cant afford the tools! (that might be a good argument in favor of piracy, in some cases..) No, I Cant really afford to run a server, but I do it anyway.
Oh well, My short post became a long rant. T'anx for any help beyond this that you can provide. If someone wants to message me and try to help me solve the problems server side, lemme know I Can set you up with an account and password and whatnot and see if we can Find a server side only solution
Old 06-26-2003, 06:44 AM   #12
palladium

I Made a thread in Off topic to Debate the "piracy" issue in a Controlled and sensible manner.
*click*

Tags
ftp, nat, running, server, [x]