Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
BobbyBonilla

Default Can I somehow download with FlashFXP at a different port?

Hello,

this question may sound weird but is there any way to download with FlashFXP at a specified port?

For example I have the following FTP server:

ftp://login@password:123.123.123.123:888

And now I'd like to download from that FTP by using port 111?
I don't want to change the port of the FTP I'm downloading from. I want to change the port where I am receiving the data at.

I hope I could make myself clear

Thanx in advance, Bobby.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

client data connection port must be above 1024, so 111 is not going to happen.
however you can specify client data connection port if you use PORT command in conjunction with "Limit local port range to:" on Proxy/Firewall/Ident tab in options.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:41 AM   #3
BobbyBonilla

I am sorry, I must admit I don not really understand what you want to expain to me..
Plz try again, I'm too stupid :P

And btw, the port I want to receive the data on should be below 1024.

Thanx again, Bobby.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Obeliks
FlashFXP Registered User

I think what BobbyBonilla is trying to say is the following:

He wants to download data from an FTP as if he would FXP it to a Server running on his computer on a certain port, like 111.

I think this is not yet possible, but I just was going to suggest it for further versions

Or can you manage to do that through the Firewall settings?

So long,
Obeliks
Old 05-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

there are 2 types of connection in ftp protocol.
control connection is the connection made to ftp port(often 21) can be any port, is where you communicate with ftp server.

data connection, is the connection made between client and server or server and server is where directory listing and data being transfered. this connection can not be below port 1024.
check out http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html it nicely explain how ftp works
Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
dewd

dear ffxp coders

Quote:
... . this connection can not be below port 1024.
just let me inform you that this is not true! maybe there are specs which say only use ports over 1024 but when you edit your flashfxp.ini file and set loport= and hiport= UNDER 1024 (port 100 - 110 or so) you CAN use activ connections with ports under 1024. just try it, it will work!

the reason why i post here is following: i use ffxp as shareware, iam not registered and iam lookin for a good ftp client and think ffxp is the best! but there are some things they scare me..

i am behind a firewall and there are only 3 ports open and forwarded to my box. these ports are 25, 80 and 110! i cant edit the port forward table because iam not the admin and have no rights to do this. next problem is: i cant use passiv connections - its blocked

the only way to use ftps is connect with aktiv mode. i bind the external ip with a dynamic dns. when i set loport=25 and hiport=25 i only can use one ftp at the same time because port 25 is in use from the first instance of ffxp. when i set loport=25 and hiport=110 its the same problem because the first instance of ffxp is using port 25 again and when i start a second instance of ffxp it will allways try to use port 26 or any other port for active connections BUT the ports between 25 / 80 and 80 / 110 are blocked for me!

would you please make it possible that ffxp will allow users to specifiy a seperate table of ports and free them from this simple porte RANGE option ? maybe as a .ini option only for advanced users. next bad thing is when i change anything in the options loport= and hiport= will set back to 1024 if it was under 1024. thats not good too - can you solve this "problem" too ?

i found some good example in this thread ( http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread.php?threadid=2759 ) how to solve this probleme. its - of course - an other good reason to implement this feature and its written in better english! mine is not the best, sorry for possible translation faults

regards

dewd
Old 07-25-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

on *nix systems ports 1-1024 are "privileged ports", meaning you need root account to access those ports, which is often not the case for ftp servers.
plus, you need to know how PORT or PASV(reply) commands are formed.
for example we have
PORT 192,168,150,80,14,178
obviously 192,168,150,80 are 8bit octets of your ip address.
14 and 178 are not plain port numers.
to find the actual port multiply the fifth octet by 256 and then add the sixth octet to the total. thus in the example above the port number is ( (14*256) + 178), or 3762.

and as you can image, the lowest valid PORT number you can have is x,x,x,x,1,1 or in other words 257
Old 07-25-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
dewd

dear MxxCon

Quote:
on *nix systems ports 1-1024 are "privileged ports", meaning you need root account to access those ports, which is often not the case for ftp servers.
ok, i understand, didnt know that but not all are *nix ftps and if you are connected to one it could possibly be that the used ftpd have the limitation to denie acces on ports under 1024 OR NOT.
all of the boxes i have in my bookmark folder do not have this limitation.. i just found some public university and company ftps with this restriction (of course not all)

its only conditioned by the rights not by the technical side! ill show you why:

Quote:
plus, you need to know how PORT or PASV(reply) commands are formed.
for example we have
PORT 192,168,150,80,14,178
obviously 192,168,150,80 are 8bit octets of your ip address.
14 and 178 are not plain port numers.
to find the actual port multiply the fifth octet by 256 and then add the sixth octet to the total. thus in the example above the port number is ( (14*256) + 178), or 3762.

and as you can image, the lowest valid PORT number you can have is x,x,x,x,1,1 or in other words 257
as i said i connected my box to some *nix ftps (and of course windows ftps too) allways with port 80 as ACTIV port. most ftps worked perfect and some ftps not.

the working result look like this:

PORT x,x,x,x,0,80

check: (0*256) + 80 = Port 80

so, what do you think? i would say you made a little misstake bro. its possible to use all ports from 1 - 65535 as activ data port...
you can fill port 1 - 255 with x,x,x,x,0,1 - x,x,x,x,0,255
and after that
port 256 with x,x,x,x,1,0 and port 257 with x,x,x,x,1,1 etc etc

the not working result looks like this:

PORT x,x,x,x,0,80
500 Illegal PORT command.
LIST
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused

that was a *nix ftp with this limitation..

so now i ask you: why denie this feature if its only a rights limitation and not a technical restriction

i hope you understand me and further i hope you or the ffxp coder will implement this little nice feature

thank you for your audience

regards

dewd

Tags
change, download, flashfxp, ftp, port