Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 11-27-2001, 08:30 PM   #1
palmtree

Question Urgent: Question Concerning Resume

I want to know more details of how the resume function of FlashFXP works. In addition, what does it mean that the remote server supports resume?

My question is more a confirmation than a question. I am paranoid asking this question, because the connection was lost I was downloading an very important program file. I want to be *absolutely* sure that the file, once downloaded, will *not* be corrupted. Else I will be forced to download this fat file again.

For example, the connection to the remote server got lost while downloading. After several attempts, Flaxsh tried successfully to reconnect the server and resumed the downloading. Visually the Progressbar, in my case, will use different colors to indicate Existing Progress and New Progress.

To make my question more concrete, the below is the log. Please note that the log has been slightly edited for privacy reason.

~~~Start of log~~~
[14:50:38] Transfer Timed Out
[14:50:38] ABOR
[14:50:54] Connection lost: Someone
[14:50:54] Attempting to Reconnect.
[14:50:54] Transfer Failed!
[14:50:57] Connecting to Someone
[14:51:18] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
[14:51:18] Delaying for 60 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
[14:52:18] Connecting to Someone #1
[14:52:42] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
[14:52:42] Delaying for 60 seconds before reconnect attempt #2
[14:53:45] Connecting to Someone #2
[14:54:06] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
[14:54:06] Delaying for 60 seconds before reconnect attempt #3
[14:55:06] Connecting to Someone #73
[14:58:45] Connected to xx.xx.xx.xx Port xxxxx
[14:58:47] 220- Someone
[14:58:47] 220-Welcome to Someone's server
~~~End of log~~~

Thank you very much for reading this long post.

palmtree
Old 11-28-2001, 12:57 AM   #2
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

In 99% of the cases resume will perform flawlessly, sorry nothing is guarranteed. In addition, I'd suggest you use the rollback-function to avoid potential corruption issues (3k or so should do). Personally I use the resume all the time with no problems.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:13 AM   #3
palmtree

Quote:
Originally posted by Fusion
In 99% of the cases resume will perform flawlessly, sorry nothing is guarranteed. In addition, I'd suggest you use the rollback-function to avoid potential corruption issues (3k or so should do). Personally I use the resume all the time with no problems.
Fusion,

i just did what you advised, retarted the program.

can you detail a little bit how "rollback-function" works? really want to know it more.

also, i want to know if i have to retart the program each time when i change something under Options?

thanks for your followup.

palmtree
Old 11-28-2001, 02:33 AM   #4
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

The roll-back essentially resumes from a bit further back in the partially transferred file, ensuring that the file isn't corrupted by bit-changes at the resume point. The reasons for corruption can be many, but the most common is related to the file-system reporting the wrong size for the file.

Normally you won't need to restart the program to reflect changes to the options, but that really depends on which build you use, and wether you're using any of the newly added options to ävoid immediate changes.

Tags
connecting, connection, question, reconnect, timed