Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 10-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #1
Mark Haupert

Red face When making changes to files in FXP I am getting errors when the programs are being r

I am using FLASH FXP to transfer files from our unix based cmm's to our windows based servers. The problem I am having, is when I used FLASH FXP to connect to one of the cmm's and make a simple change, such a revision date to the program and then close FXP and try to run the program, I will get a sytax error and the program will not run even though it was working fine 5 minutes before i went in and made a date change. I am sure the problem lies within a binary and ascii discrepency, but I am not sure how to rectify the situation. After this happens, you can sometimes use FLASH FXP to look at the program, and there will be ^M at the end of each line of the program. After these are removed it seems to take care of the problem. Any suggestions on how to avoid these problems would be great.

Thank you,

Mark Haupert
Old 10-03-2002, 11:34 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It sounds like the file is being downloaded in ASCII mode, You need to download it in BINARY mode, or vise-versa.

Also I don't recommend editing the file in the FlashFXP editor as this may inadvertently add extra characters. You can define custom file editors via the Options menu > File Associations.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #3
Linkster
Administrator

i've had problems using the flashfxp editor too..what gives? i really prefer using it as its fast and easy..is there a fix?
Old 10-03-2002, 12:38 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Not that I am aware of. It has to do with the handling/conversion of UNIX text files, the files are converted to DOS. In some cases poorly converted.

Depending on how bad the file was mangled, Uploading the file in ASCII mode might be able to correct it. ASCII mode converts DOS to UNIX when uploading to a unix/linux based ftp server.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:19 PM   #5
Linkster
Administrator

maybe you should not auto convert the files to DOS? ultra edit actually pops up a dialogue asking to convert, but i'd rather it NEVER convert my files.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I'm not converting it, the windows (richedit) control does that on it's own. I have no control over it.

The only possible way to have that much control would be to replace the edit control we use with something else.

Tags
flash, fxp, problem, program, run