Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 08-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #1
sparviero

Default GPRS and connections problems

Well this is my first post here... hello everyone!

I'm connected to the Net by a new kind of modem: the GPRS net that in my coutry (ITALY) is provided to by OMNITEL...cellphone ISP and GSM (LATELY ALSO GPRS).

I have problems while trying connect a site in non passive mode trought a wingate... while this is possible with my other isdn modem...

HERE's the log:
215 Windows_NT version 5.0
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PORT 10,208,201,xxx,12,26
200 PORT command successful.
LIST -al
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

all ok but...
***AFTER several seconds i get no listing... then i get these two lines above***
226 Transfer complete.
Connection lost: 217.204.38.135

I DONT KNOW WHY! I SAY AGAIN THAT MY ISDN CONNECTION WITH THE SAME CONFIGURATION DO THE LIST AND DOES NOT LOOSE THE CONNECTION!
PLEASE HELP ME! I WANT TO CONNECT WITH NON PASSIVE MODE... IN PASSIVE MODE IT CONNECTS BUT I WANT ACTIVE MODE!
Old 08-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It sounds like your GPRS connection doesn't offer NAT.

PORT is sending your local network address to the ftp server, in order to use active mode you will need to determine your external ip and enter it into FlashFXP (Preferences -> Proxy Tab -> bind to ip)
Old 08-25-2002, 08:32 PM   #3
sparviero

Uhm... i tried to get the external ip (is that my ip? that one that ISP gave to me? Or is that the one of the server who gave me the IP?). However i tried binding both and i still get no listing and connection lost (why it says "transfer complete"? is a mistery to me...!)

I also tried to find info about how work a GPRS connection... and i've found this: http://turtiainen.dna.fi/GPRS-HOWTO
if you don't want to read the whole document about GPRS (much interesting about GPRS's tecniques...)

"...In GPRS you are likely behind NAT (Network Address Translation). All your
connections to Internet seems to come from one operator's computer. That
means for example that IPSec security protocol or H.323 or SIP signaling of
multimedia applications won't work. ..."

My think is that, IN NON PASSIVE MODE, smthing that my ip should receive from the site trought the wingate isn't sent back to me... I could be in wrong!

Also IN PASSIVE MODE, which succesfully list and dont loose connection, i cant do FXP transfers (IN PASSIVE MODE BOTH SITES) 'cause i get (quickly!) connection lost after the command "PORT...." --- here's the log:

TYPE I
TYPE I
PASV
227 Entering passive mode (xxx,x,xx,171,11,121) ***this with 'x' is the wingate...***
PORT xxx,x,xx,171,11,121
Connection lost: xx.xxx.xxx.70 --> site where the file would going to be stored
Attempting to Reconnect.
Transfer Failed!
1 File failed to transfer
Server Error, Aborted

I think it's always the same problem, cause i can to also this FXP with my old good ISDN connection, with this new GPRS system i get problems.

I want to thanks any kind of help, so maybe we can discover the issue and try to tell to GPRS's ISP all over the world to get this new kind of connection work better...
Actually i dont know if this issue is also noticed by all others GPRS users, GPRS isn't so diffused right now, but will be soon, and after there will be UTMS!

PS: I'm also wondering if GPRS connections does give an unique IP for every cell phone connected! ...dunno right now!
Old 08-25-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The external ip is the ip assigned to you by your isp. There are several pages on the internet that will give you your external ip.

If you are behind NAT you may not be able to FXP as in most cases NAT and FXP are not compatible.

At any rate the problem seems to be with the service, you best bet would be to contact them and see if incoming connections are allowed and active mode (non-passive) connections.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
sparviero

Is there a solution or bypass to get FXP work being connected "trhought" a NAT?
Aren't many ISP using the NAT? ADSL, ISND... aren't many of those using a NAT?

I tried question to my GPRS's ISP but they ignore the situation... maybe they don't know what's FXP!!!

I also wonder if exist a kind of software that can do FXP work trought a NAT...
Please help me, i want to get FXP work...
Old 08-26-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

the only solutions I know of are to run the ftp server on a non-standard port. With most NAT systems they only monitor port 21. Or connect to the ftp server via a proxy server. Be warned that some proxy servers also use NAT.

There in no way software can be used to get around the problem.

Tags
connect, connection, gprs, mode, passive