Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 10-16-2001, 04:59 PM   #1
piznak

Question Network Buffer Size

Recently we have noticed that flash is transfering files very slowly to a local ftp server. On a 100baset lan we are getting slow, less than 800k uploads and downloads.

Using various other ftp clients, like wsftple, we are able to change the Network Buffer Size to say 4096 for upload and download, and we get 5-15mbps transfer speeds.

It doesnt look like flashfxp has these settings to modify. Is there a way to modify these network buffer sizes using an ini file or somewhere in the program we havent looked? Flashfxp works well for everything else, except for the slow speeds on lan enviroment.

thanks
Old 10-16-2001, 05:39 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

FlashFXP uses the default winsock packet size, which is 8192.

I personally have not tested FlashFXP with LAN transfers (I only have one computer )

However in the past I have done some experimenting with end users on their LAN and we were unable to find any major speed increases when changing the packet size.

If you're interested in testing different packet sizes email support@flashfxp.com and I'll send you a special version that will allow you to change the packet size.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:45 AM   #3
mr fresh
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
However in the past I have done some experimenting with end users on their LAN and we were unable to find any major speed increases when changing the packet size.
I did some testing on my LAN here at work. 100MB, both machines only machines on 1 hub, both 3Com cards set for "Maximize network performance".

FTP download of 40MB file

FlashFXP 1.4 4560K/sec
Win98 Command Line FTP 8368 K/sec
CuteFTP 2.6.1 16384 rec buf 9765 K/sec
CuteFTP 2.6.1 12288 rec buf 9765 K/sec
CuteFTP 2.6.1 8192 rec buf 9765 K/sec

So, I can see no discernable difference in changing the buffer size for downloads.

The main thing this test tells me is that FlashFXP does lag behind other FTP clients in speed when used on a 100MB LAN (I am not complaining, just observing).
Old 10-18-2001, 10:56 AM   #4
mr fresh
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
FTP download of 40MB file

FlashFXP 1.4 4560K/sec
Another weird data point is that if I upload the same file to the FTP server on my LAN using FlashFXP 1.4, I get 6480 K/sec

So, upload rate is 42% faster than download rate.

But the upload rate is much improved over FlashFXP 1.2 build 560 (3004 K/sec).

Tags
buffer, lan, network, slow, speeds