Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 06-16-2002, 12:31 AM   #1
modernbill

Question on upload - permissions all messed up

FXP: Version 1.4.3 (build 835)
CPU: 1.4 AMD
RAM: 1gig

When uploading bulk files I just downloaded using FXP, all of the permissions (file & directory attributes) are wrong. Please see the jpg attached.

They were correct before downloading.

Any ideas how to correct this?
Attached Thumbnails
on upload - permissions all messed up-permissions-jpg  
Old 06-16-2002, 01:53 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

When performing a site to site transfer file permissions are not kept and they're assigned the default permission by the ftp server.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:56 AM   #3
modernbill

This is not site to site transfer.

I downloaded 100 megs (files/folders) from Site A. Then I uploaded to Site B (new server).

After the upload, all permissions were messed up. Even if I only upload one file, the permissions will not be correct and appear randomly generated.

Look at the jpg and you will see that many .php files have various permissions set on them.

<edit>The permissions will be incorrect even if re-uploading to a new dir in Site A. </edit>
Old 06-16-2002, 02:19 AM   #4
Fused

When you download a file from anywhere, it is assigned standard permissions for your file system, in windows this is generally +a -h -r -s.

You cannot simply transfer file permissions, they're stored in the file system, not in the file itself.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:29 AM   #5
modernbill

I would agree if it always did this, but my other FTP programs work just fine, all of the time...ie: CuteFTP.

This only started when FXP did its last update to Version 1.4.3 (build 835).

I noticed this last week when moving large amounts of files locally for saving to disk before reuploading to the new server. When I uploaded to the new server, that's when the wacky behavior started. I even uninstalled and reinstalled to a new dir on my pc. It seemed to solve the problem until tonight, when the perms were all messed up again. (I had several successful FTP sessions with the new install before this acted up again so I cam here.)

AS I mentioned before, it is very inconsistent. Notice the directories and their permissions...they are not all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
on upload - permissions all messed up-permissions-jpg  
Old 06-16-2002, 02:34 AM   #6
modernbill

Just for another test...I uploaded 5 php file...in ASCII format:

Here are the various permissions assigned once the upload was complete:

rw- -w- ---
rw- r-- r--
rw- --- -w-
-w- --- rw-
rw- -w- ---

As you see here, these should all be (644) or at least the same permissions.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:48 AM   #7
Fused

Quite frankly, I dont care if you agree or disagree, its how things work.

If anything is changing permissions automatically on files you've uplaoded, it's the remote server. Perhaps you're overwriting existing files that already have permissions set and the ftp server recognises that and preserves the attributes.

This is not a function of any client as quite frankly, it's impossible.

Say you download your files to yourself, and then 2 days later you go to upload them to a remote server, where is the client or remote server going to get those file permissiosn from when they dont even exist in a windows environment in that format?

Just think about it for a minute. There's no middle ground, it's simply impossible.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

look at your status log.
flashfxp only u/l a file, it doesn't do anything with permisions, so they must be set by ftpd. fact that it happened after you upgraded to 835 is purely coincidental.
you can always chmod them if permisions get messed up
Old 05-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #9
Techmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
When performing a site to site transfer file permissions are not kept and they're assigned the default permission by the ftp server.
Hey, I have a question... What you're mentioning here is EXACTLY what I would like to accomplish. I need to move my entire site from one server to another... and it's a very large web site, with a lot of php. (it's running on postnuke and phpbb) Moving the files is the easy part...but I need to duplicate the file permissions from one server to another. Is there any way to get FlashFXP to do a site-to-site transfer, but keep the permissions intact? Even if that involves doing another LS command after the upload, and going through the files, chmod'ing as needed... It's definitely doable... But can FlashFXP do this?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #10
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

what you can do is pack your site and make sure that archive preserve file attribs, then fxp that archived file and unpack it on the new site

Tags
attributes, correct, fxp, permissions, wrong