Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 05-07-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
EsKi

Default [ ] in site name causes import problems

I am using the 'FlashFXP v1.2 or 1.3' import tool to import some FTP sites, and it seems that sites with [ or ] in the name cause problems for the importer. The sites are being imported into a folder called MySites, so the import file looks like this:
[MySites [_WeirdFTPName_]]
IP=****
User=***
Pass=***
Port=***
Notes=***
Options=***

Whenever I import sites into MySites, I always delete the MySites folder first (so I don't have to answer all the replacement confirmations). However, when there is [ or ] in the name, I get a replacement confirmation (even though the site has been deleted already).

And while we are talking about the replacement confirmations, I think it would be good to add a 'Yes to All' and/or a 'No to All' button. This way you don't have to bother deleting all the duplicate sites first.

-EsKi
Old 05-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It would appear to me that there is something wrong with the site list you are trying to import.

This may be due to a bug in the build that you were using at the time that created this site list.

Which build are you using to import the site list?

If I create a new site that contains [] and try to import it, it works fine, so I have to assume the problem has since been resolved.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
EsKi

The sites.dat was created by a web script .. The form of it is exactly like I posted in my original post .. I currently using build 849 .. It does import fine the first time, then I delete the folder and try to re-import, and thats when I have the problem.

Perhaps you can give me the import file that you are using, and I'll try it here. That way we can rule out that as the problem.

-EsKi
Old 05-08-2002, 01:45 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Well that's the problem, the web script is incorrectly generating the sites.dat, a sites.dat can not contain raw [ or ] These are replaced with non-standard characters. I don't know the characters off hand and I am not in a position to look right now.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:18 AM   #5
EsKi

Ok .. What I did was create a site in FlashFXP with [ and ] in the name, and then opened the Sites.dat ..

What I found is [ gets changed to þ, and ] gets changed to ÿ .. Now, what happens if some goober wants to use þ or ÿ in their site name? FlashFXP now thinks that it was supposed to be a bracket. So the problem isn't really solved, just made more rare. Perhaps FlashFXP should just prohibit those characters from being used in the site manager completely (along with any other special characters).
Old 05-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
oxygene

Using an escape character would even eliminate the problem
Old 05-08-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
EsKi

Indeed it would, but I was just making the simplest suggestion .. I don't know how much Delphi people have to deal with special characters in strings .. Us C folks have to deal with them all the time ..
Old 05-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by EsKi
Ok .. What I did was create a site in FlashFXP with [ and ] in the name, and then opened the Sites.dat ..

What I found is [ gets changed to þ, and ] gets changed to ÿ .. Now, what happens if some goober wants to use þ or ÿ in their site name? FlashFXP now thinks that it was supposed to be a bracket. So the problem isn't really solved, just made more rare. Perhaps FlashFXP should just prohibit those characters from being used in the site manager completely (along with any other special characters).
Those two characters have been used all along to replace [ ] and it has never been an issue. I'm not entirely sure why those specific characters were choosen. It would have made more sense to use control characters but it's too late for that now.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by EsKi
Indeed it would, but I was just making the simplest suggestion .. I don't know how much Delphi people have to deal with special characters in strings .. Us C folks have to deal with them all the time ..
I wasn't aware that [ or ] couldn't be used in a section name of a inifile until people started reporting problems when using [ or ]

rarely have I had to deal with special characters in strings. It was never much of an issue.

Tags
import, mysites, replacement, site, sites