Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 02-23-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

Default O byte files being created

This isn't a major bug, just a little annoying. Follow these instructions to recreate it:

-Queue up a load of files in a particular folder on an FTP (one which you have full control of will make it easier to recreate).
-Physically delete all the files that you just queued from that folder on the FTP (you can simulate deletion by renaming the existing folder to another name, and then creating a new folder with an identical name to the original)
-Flush the directory cache (this would happen if you didn't connect to that site for a while)
-Attempt to transfer the files. It will create a series of 0 byte files.

I did not go out of my length to find this bug, it's just that it happened to me today whilst attempting to transfer files which did not exist, but from a folder which still did exist. I therefore recreated it by connecting to my own FTP.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:55 AM   #2
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

What build were you using? When I try the exact same thing here using the latest beta I'm getting the expected error: File not found. Essentially you described a process of queueing non-existing files, ie. files that were present at the time of queue-creation, then either were deleted or moved. Quite the common scenario on a busy server.

What probably happened is that most servers are able to cache the new link of moved files so that a queue thats underway while files were being moved won't stop/break until - at the earliest, when the present file is completed, or at the latest, when the current diirectory is completed. The server you were using obviously attempts the same but fumbles and lets you get the files, which end up as 0-byte because its cache is bad.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

I am using the lastest beta: 833.

It took me a while to recreate those steps; otherwise it would end up with the files just not getting transferred as expected. However, I tried the method above on my own server several times and it happened each time.

Maybe someone else has had/will have the same problem?

It's not a major bug anyway, just thought I had best mention it and help the development of the best FTP prog on the market!
Old 02-23-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Okay, 833 isn't the latest.
But I see no changes from 833 onwards that would affect this one way or the other. In the meantime I've tested this with several servers (glftpd, ncftpd, wuftpd, serv-u, bpftpd, msftpd) and none exibit the same as what you're getting. I'm still holding a button on the remote server being atleast partly to blame.

Are you using a proxy?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

I am connecting through a firewall: ZA Pro. But I don't think that would make any difference.

It could be something to do with my settings, or maybe you're doing it in a slightly different way to what I am. I found I had to do it in that exact way; otherwise it would work as intended and just count the transfers as failed.

If 833 isn't the lastest then what is? Where can I get hold of it?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #6
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

No, true, ZA shouldn't affect it, but you might want to try with the ZA disabled. When I tested with the servers I listed above, I followed your description to the letter. I'd have to to attempt to reproduce it, wouldn't I.

The latest non-public betas are used by the beta-testers, so you'll have to wait for the next public release.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:51 AM   #7
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

Just thought, but when you flush the directory cache are you outside of either of the two folders involved?

E.g. if you renamed "\Test\MyFolder" to "\Test\MyFolder2", are you in the "\Test" folder when flushing?

I just tried it on my ISPs FTP for their webserver, and it does the same thing also.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:59 AM   #8
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Yes, I left the directory. I also attempted to break the caching on one of the servers to see if that would result in any odd behaviour, but it didn-t. Guess we'll have to wait for bigstar.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Ethanol, if you turn off dir-caching for either test.site and try again, does it still happen? I've been using dir-caching all way thru, but you better test it aswell.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:44 PM   #10
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

Yes it still does. I'll write exactly what I did so perhaps it makes it clearer (with folder caching now turned off):

-Connect to site.
-Enter folder X
-Queue all files from folder X to local HD
-Go to parent folder
-Rename folder X to Y
-Create new folder with name X
-Transfer queue.

That does it in every occurence I have tried. I still have get the "no such file or directory" errors, but also the 0 byte files.

Just checked anyway, but it does it with both Passive Mode on or off.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:21 PM   #11
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have changed the behavior, if the file doesn't exist it will no longer leave 0 byte files.

Tags
exist, files, folder, ftp, transfer