Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 01-11-2003, 07:35 AM   #1
roeltje

Default Very nasty listing bug

Make in unix a username / group with ' ' (spaces) in it.
make it longer then 8 bytes.

I run ProFtpD, and when I try to list a dir with files created with that user... they are just not shown in the listview.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
roeltje

Not responding in anyway will definitely let me post more bug-reports. As a developer myself I appriciate bug-reports always very much, but hell, that is me.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

When the listing format is seperated by spaces, spaces within the group or name will conflict with the listing format.

It will be very unlikely that you can find a ftp client that can correctly handle this type of file listing.

Our ftp parser will not handle it.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
roeltje

I'm writing my own ftp client at the moment... that is how I come on probs like this.

The best way I resolved this, is the next thing:

Code:
drwx------   5 roeltje  513          4096 Jan 13 16:41 roeltje
drwx------   2 la la    la la        4096 Jan 11 12:46 la la
-rw-------   1 roel     roel          559 May 22  2002 pico.save
the date is always in a same format. I run a test from the last byte of the name string, there I will look for numbers, when I found 2 numbers after each other (time xx:xx or year xxxx). Then I will look for spaces that are always the same in the date. If I found the the spaces, I will copy the 3 bytes which I think are the month to an 3 char big array, compare it with the 12 possible values of months. Then if this is true, I'm almost sure I got the position of the date, I can run from there the filename + the filesize. The directory / rights info is clear also. only the group and user are not 100% trackable.. but well these are not that nessacary to know. This is of coarse not a 100% bugfree algoritm, but I will be kind enough to send you my ftp client so you can see it will work.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Actually this is not the best solution for the purpose.

Somewhat better solution is to search for first ':' character - as user/group names cannot contain spaces in unix (':' is used as seperator in group & passwd files) & start decoding string.
Previous method only works for files/directories that are from current year. If decoding fails (files is too old - does not contain HH:MM), you can use less accurate method like: looking for first 4chars long figure, which has digit or 2chars long figure between 1 & 31 on its' left side.. and so on.

Note that there is no way to get accurate user/group name from line such as:
drwx------ 5 usernam e g ro upname 4096 Jan 13 16:41 roeltje

Ps. admins that use spaces in usernames should be punished (There is usually description field that you can use for real name)
Old 01-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
roeltje

you are right about the ':' b/c they are used in the passwd file so it is forbidden to use it. but well what ya said old files with years can't be detect by that, that is why I use the other check... well you can actually use both checks then the system is almost bug free.

anyway flashfxp will maybe support this feature sometime...
Old 01-20-2003, 11:59 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

FlashFXP looks for the date pattern, however only to a certain degree.. when the groups/users contain a space it puts the date field out of search bounds.

I can't say for certain if FlashFXP will support this combination. There are no immediate plans to do.

Tags
created, files, list, make, user