Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 12-01-2001, 08:37 PM   #1
wobbles

Cool failed data connection

me again....lol! Please can someone tell me why my connection fails here:
'150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls'
& then gives this message?
'425 Can't open data connection'
tried all the usual adjustments!

oh yes this is for just d/ling to me.....still cant fxp .
I uninstalled my earlier setup & have started afresh but still getting the same probs.
Thanx all
Old 12-01-2001, 09:28 PM   #2
EtHeR.nET

Talking call me stupid but....

i have had the same prob. with a big dump to my friends work. he is behind a firewall.. every port is closed on his firewall but 21. which is the ftp port. now if you try to fxp to port 21 and it doesn't open a connection.. wouldn't u think that their is another port that fxp'n uses to open a data connection..hopefully you would know that opening a data connection has nothing to do with data transfering, and the firewall is blocking that because its not open. I willing to put my money on it and thats why everyone with firewalls cant fxp. we are going to do some testing by opening ports on firewall casue he is the administrator. to me it only makes since.. someone give me some feed back on that.

EtHeR.nET
Old 12-01-2001, 09:38 PM   #3
EtHeR.nET

Talking call me stupid but....

i have had the same prob. with a big dump to my friends work. he is behind a firewall.. every port is closed on his firewall but 21. which is the ftp port. now if you try to fxp to port 21 and it doesn't open a connection.. wouldn't u think that their is another port that fxp'n uses to open a data connection..hopefully you would know that opening a data connection has nothing to do with data transfering, and the firewall is blocking that because its not open. I willing to put my money on it and thats why everyone with firewalls cant fxp. we are going to do some testing by opening ports on firewall casue he is the administrator. to me it only makes since.. someone give me some feed back on that.

EtHeR.nET
Old 12-01-2001, 10:13 PM   #4
wobbles

Cool

sounds good to me & I'll be very interested in the results ETHeR.nET. I hope it can explain some of our probs & maybe point to a solution! Obviously firewalls are necessary but.... ...oh ..........the hassles they cause to us fxpers!!
Old 12-02-2001, 01:30 AM   #5
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

ethernet, I havnt changed your post... I was trying to approve the attachment, but have no clue how to

Shark.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:20 AM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

If the site is behind a firewall you will need to disable passive mode, however if you too are behind a firewall, you will need to open some local ports to allow incoming connections.

Non-Passive mode
The local port range can defined in FlashFXP (Pref/Proxy tab).

Passive mode
Some ftp servers allow you to define a port range, if the ftp server does not then it will use a random port above 1024.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:50 AM   #7
EtHeR.nET

Default passive mode

tried the passive mode thing.. that didn't help at all. will see what happens when we venture into the port idea..

and that attatchment sorry shark.. i thought it was for loading avatars' like personal logos' you can disregard it.

i guess will have to wait and see
Old 12-02-2001, 09:35 AM   #8
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Re: passive mode

Quote:
Originally posted by EtHeR.nET

and that attatchment sorry shark.. i thought it was for loading avatars' like personal logos' you can disregard it.
Ethernet, for your info... to have your own avatar just go to the user cp (settings) section and you can make your avatar their...

Shark (this is a bit off the track )

Tags
connection, d/ling, data, earlier, fxp