Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

FlashFXP 4.0 RC 1 Use this forum to ask questions, make suggestions, or provide feedback for FlashFXP 4.0 RC 1.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Telcontar
FlashFXP Registered User

Cool Not allowed to have no transfer rules/rules reversed

Just installed 4. Had to manually back up the settings from 3 and import into 4 as the auto-import seems to ignore my settings (in particular, it loses my custom theme choice and doesn't bring in anything from Site Manager).

I opened a site that I've had in Site Manager for some time, edited a local file, then pressed ^T to upload it. Got an overwrite prompt! That's not supposed to happen ...

I find that if you delete EVERY rule from a file transfer ruleset, then a default set of rules is recreated. It doesn't mind if you have only one rule left, but as soon as you delete that last one, a replacement set is recreated from scratch when you commit the change (either then, or when you open the File Transfer Rules window again).

Also, I find it a little sad that the rules listbox doesn't support multiple selections, right-click (see Fitt's law), ctrl-C (copy to clipboard for diagnostic purposes, faster than screenshot) -- not that I'd expect this to be implemented specifically here so much as that surely custom listbox libraries would give you all this by now? I was hoping I could wipe the rule list with multiple select then Delete. Saves messing around with a tedious rule edit UI when I just want to reset everything to overwrite, which is given to me at the bottom as "If no rules match then".

I can't select several at once and change them, and there's no inline adjustment -- I have to go through a dialog box to change each rule. As a rule (!) I don't like any rules being there that I didn't explicitly create and I just wipe everything that doesn't match my intended behaviour and put back what I need later. That way, there's less to trudge through adjusting, and less to be concerned about. All transfers take the if-no-rule-matches option and that's all I need to be concerned with.

However, as I said, if I try that, I'm given a fresh set of rules again :-)

Also, in 3, my rules are:

Downloading (size <, >, ==): Ask
Uploading (size <, >, ==): Auto Overwrite
FXP (Site to Site) (size <, >, ==): Ask

These work out in 4 as these 9 rules:

IF Size {3} AND Transfer IS Upload THEN Ask
IF Size {3} AND Transfer IS Download THEN Overwrite
IF Size {3} AND Transfer IS Site to Site THEN Ask

Note that upload and download are reversed.

Global is all Ask. However, site manager sites where Global is unchecked, go for the above with the upload and download rules reversed. If I delete every rule to clear out the mess, I still get the above -- regardless of what the rules were before I deleted them, and regardless of it not matching the Global settings.

It could at least clone the rules from 3 and then I wouldn't have noticed, but even backup and restore fails to set the correct rules in place. It sets whether global is used or not, but non-global rules are given these magic default settings.

Sorry, long ramble .... :P

[Edit Sheez .. might help to know, 3.7.8.1332 -> 4.0.0.1466, Win XP SP3 32-bit. I need more sleep.]

Last edited by Telcontar; 08-16-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Might help if I even got the version number right.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Build 1332 was a complete mess I can't recall if it had any of the new file transfer rules in place but if it did it could cause a bit of havac as the rules changed a bit from the original design.

After looking into this it looks like you stumbled upon several bugs.

1. The legacy code to import the old rules is being triggered when you delete all of the rules. thats why the list keeps getting re-populated.

2. The conversion from the old rules to the new somehow I managed to get upload and download reversed.

3. you should of been able to press the del key to delete each entry, somehow it became unmapped.

I'll fix these issues in the next build.

The reason for not having in-line editing is because it caused a bit of confusion with some testers.

Usability is important and confusion is something we try to avoid
Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Telcontar
FlashFXP Registered User

OK, glad it wasn't a figment of my rabid imagination or encroaching senility.

Thanks bigstar.

A couple of other quick off-topic remarks -- I notice a new beta is out but you don't list what's changed in it [edit]when you look at the notes in Help > Check For New Version[/edit]. It's a bit unkind to mention FileZilla in this context, but if I check for a new version in the same way, it lists all changes between the version I have now, and the latest stable/beta release, so that I quickly review whether any bugs I've had my eyes on have been fixed, and what else has changed.

Also, the new icon is soft focused and relatively unsaturated in colour, so in my (16×16) Quick Launch toolbar it's (almost) the odd one out compared to the usual sharp, contrasting, clear icons. (The MS Paint icon though is pretty much unrecognisable at 16×16 which is unusual for Microsoft who have some very talented graphic designers who have a very keen eye for clarity at small sizes.) (OK, I cheat, as 1/3 of the icons in my Quick Launch are ones I drew ;-)

Last edited by Telcontar; 08-17-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Must learn to preview, Gadget, one day!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

For the v4.0 beta releases I've just been listing a generalized listing of whats changed.

The detailed changelog can be found in the forum
http://www.flashfxp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14315

It takes a very talented person to make 16x16 icons, and even more so its extremely difficult to make a one for FlashFXP due to the shape and characteristics of the logo.

I've attached the icons we use in FlashFXP, if you think you can improve on them I'd be grateful. The tray uses 16x16 XP for newer versions of windows and 256 colors for older versions or low color depth.
Attached Files
File Type: zip icons.zip (27.5 KB, 233 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Telcontar
FlashFXP Registered User

I'll have to take a look. It's hard to achieve small icons without making considerable alterations to the large size version. The most notable example is Windows XP's personal folder icons (My Music, My Videos etc) that lose the 3D perspective in 16×16 as it's so hard to achieve it at that size!

Tags
download, fxp, rules, site, upload