Old 07-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Morpheus
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Default FlashFXP for linux as source (tar.gz)

Would you plan to release FlashFXP for Linux-Customers ?

Many thx for answers

morpheus
Old 07-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Read this post. Although it's applicable to FlashFXP 2.1 i think that it's for 3.0 too.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 AM   #3
Morpheus
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

I can#t install it, with wine, or crossoveroffice3
s hit
Old 07-16-2004, 03:56 AM   #4
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

According to this link, FlashFXP 2.1 works well with Wine.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
tlasswel

Quote:
Originally posted by DYN_DaTa
According to this link, FlashFXP 2.1 works well with Wine.
this is of course if you'd actually like to run wine! For users like myself that have gone strictly linux, no windows emulators, there are very few reasonable ftp clients... although, I wouldn't expect these guys to rewrite all their code just for a linux based ftp client, when most people in the community are happy with what's there...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

I can't give an opinion about Wine cause i don't use Linux (but soon i'll move to Fedora, it's a Distro that seems interesting .

There's one thing about the Windows programs that people periodically ask to be ported to Linux. Linux community has created nice pieces of code and awesome programs (GUI interfaces, kernel changes, network scanners, superb network code, etc ...). Hey, there're like thousands of packages that come with any decent Distro (Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, etc ...), but people still ask to port to Linux programs like FlashFXP or mIRC (the best and most used FTP/IRC clients on Windows).

My humble opinion on this subject is that Linux hackers/coders should invest their time working on such requested programs instead adding packages, on every Distro update, that one or two persons will use (take a look for example at 'orphan Debian packages', packages that don't have an owner/mantainer and probably will be forgotten on a couple of months).

Wouldn't be more productive to code such programs on Linux instead requesting the *same* thing every two weeks on mIRC and FlashFXP forums, and getting the same answer?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
tlasswel

Quote:
I can't give an opinion about Wine cause i don't use Linux (but soon i'll move to Fedora, it's a Distro that seems interesting .

There's one thing about the Windows programs that people periodically ask to be ported to Linux. Linux community has created nice pieces of code and awesome programs (GUI interfaces, kernel changes, network scanners, superb network code, etc ...). Hey, there're like thousands of packages that come with any decent Distro (Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, etc ...), but people still ask to port to Linux programs like FlashFXP or mIRC (the best and most used FTP/IRC clients on Windows).

My humble opinion on this subject is that Linux hackers/coders should invest their time working on such requested programs instead adding packages, on every Distro update, that one or two persons will use (take a look for example at 'orphan Debian packages', packages that don't have an owner/mantainer and probably will be forgotten on a couple of months).

Wouldn't be more productive to code such programs on Linux instead requesting the *same* thing every two weeks on mIRC and FlashFXP forums, and getting the same answer?
Well, only one problem with that is, FlashFXP is closed source, and there is no way they're going to allow for a port to Linux...

Secondly, Fedora isn't an exciting or interesting distro, it's just redhat, with more "unproduction" quality code...bah

Try out gentoo, gentoo is a nice little linux distro, and you'll learn a ton using it!

I don't exactly see why everyone would want FlashFXP ported to linux anyhow, considering the vast majority of decent FTP programs already in existance for linux...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by tlasswel
Well, only one problem with that is, FlashFXP is closed source, and there is no way they're going to allow for a port to Linux...
just becuase a software is on linux doesn't mean it must be open source...
Quote:
I don't exactly see why everyone would want FlashFXP ported to linux anyhow, considering the vast majority of decent FTP programs already in existance for linux...
yes, there are many ftp clients on nix, but as you can see by requests majority(or maybe all of them) are kinda quicky or wierd or ackward to use or something else is wrong w/ them..
Old 07-23-2004, 01:46 AM   #9
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Waste a couple of minutes of your time searching on this forum for 'Linux requests, 'Linux ports', etc ... take a look also at mIRC forum and you'll see that, apparently, Linux FTP/IRC clients suck.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 AM   #10
ND-
FlashFXP Beta Tester

http://pftpmew.tanesha.net <- good ftp client
http://www.irssi.org <- good irc client

Both for linux.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #11
tlasswel

Quote:
Waste a couple of minutes of your time searching on this forum for 'Linux requests, 'Linux ports', etc ... take a look also at mIRC forum and you'll see that, apparently, Linux FTP/IRC clients suck.
XChat and irssi are very nice IRC clients, and I use axyftp as an ftp client in linux...

Alot of people that use linux, are still into windows, and can't give up the windows portion... hence the huge demand for wineX and wine, and maybe even crossover office.

there are tons of things, you've just got to look for them...

Quote:
just becuase a software is on linux doesn't mean it must be open source...
I'm aware of this, but in order for the port to happen, the FlashFXP source code would have to be released to the developer that wanted to port it. Or, they could do the illegal thing of reverse-engineering it, but then again, that's illegal...
Old 07-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #12
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
but in order for the port to happen, the FlashFXP source code would have to be released to the developer that wanted to port it.
not nessarly
IF this is going to happen, then either bigstar will port it himself, or privately hire a "linux-aware" developer to help him...

Tags
flashfxp, linux-customers, morpheus, release, thx