Old 06-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
E-Buzz

Default Question about spyware?

As being a registered and very satisfied user of FlashFXP for years now i have have never used one of them cracked versions out there and i never intend to do so.

But....the last couple of days i´ve seen at least two cracked versions of RC4 1010 where the "crackers" claims to have, and i quote: "Precracked with own installer (no spyware)" and "Removed *ALL* callhome s**t" and "this release is sites.dat file fixed" and "Since FlashFXP v3.0 RC3 Build 1000 there is new spyware too in the setup", it goes on and on like that. Can someone inform me what all this BS is about?

The fact that FlashFXP does a check for correct serial number at the automated update occasion is a well known fact since years, but are there some and new "undocumented features" involved in this process with the new version?

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a clear and truthful answer on this issue.

I do believe this is just crap BS from the lame dudes writing it but it would be nice to hear the real facts about it from an official source
Old 06-13-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Tribl
FlashFXP Registered User

u might wanna read this thread about that topic.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
E-Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by Tribl
u might wanna read this thread about that topic.
Thanx dude, i made maybe the most common mistake people tend to do on forums, i didnt perform a search before i posted.....my bad.....on the other hand i´ve read that thread before and it sure give some answers but not all i think.

Still it would be nice to once and for all (or again, if you want) have this issue solved.

You can always blame "the author of UltraFXP" for spreading that slanderous BS but i doubt he´s involved with tearing apart FlashFXP and cracking it as the groups claims they have done, and during that process obvoiusly found some suspicious behavior.

I´m a simple layman when it comes to reverse engineering and such so i cant check it myself (i guess it also would be a violation of the EULA), therefore i am simply asking the officials here.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Tribl
FlashFXP Registered User

i somehow find it disturbing too crackers mentioning that they disabled spyware and stuff, but the problem is that they dont give any proof that everyone can follow, a program calling home checking for updates or if its a legit copy is no problem for me, anything additional to that would make me wonder, and i wouldn't like it
Old 06-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #5
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I would be far more worried about those warez versions containing unwanted modifications if i were you, i have seen several versions (few recently) that have just that. Set up to steal you site info. Being such a popular program amongst the warez scene, its the perfect target.

How do you think all those pubs and xdcc bots came about?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
ND-
FlashFXP Beta Tester

If you're worried get a packet sniffer and check all packets ffxp sends out. That way you can be sure.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
E-Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by ND-
If you're worried get a packet sniffer and check all packets ffxp sends out. That way you can be sure.
Yes, that way i can see that FlashFXP sends out packets, but me being the Average Joe user, the only thing i will see is exactly that, packets sent out. What kind of packets goes beyond my knowledge.

Tribl: I agree, as being a legit user i have no problems whatsoever with the things you are mentioning, if there´s something else, i would, to put it mildly, be a very dissapointed paying customer

DayCuts: Why should i be worried about some warezed versions? Thats not the issue here, as stated i´m a paying user and will so remain, i couldnt care less about crappy warez versions. But i agree, if i was into using cracked versions, i really would worry

I´m very confident that the official FlashFXP people will come up with an answer.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Buzz
... I´m very confident that the official FlashFXP people will come up with an answer.
Official FlashFXP answer:

Software: Trial Version
Absolutely no personal information is required to download and try out our software. Additionally, while in trial mode, FlashFXP will never send ANY information to us or any of our servers. FlashFXP is yours to try for free, without obligation, and without restriction.

Software: Liveupdate
LiveUpdate is a special feature of the registered version of FlashFXP. It allows for a convenient method to update the FlashFXP software. Because this is a registered version only feature, and to keep our download servers from becoming overloaded, a crc hash of your registration key is sent as an authentication token when LiveUpdate connects to our servers. No other information is transmitted.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:51 PM   #9
E-Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by DYN_DaTa
Official FlashFXP answer:

Software: Trial Version
Absolutely no personal information is required to download and try out our software. Additionally, while in trial mode, FlashFXP will never send ANY information to us or any of our servers. FlashFXP is yours to try for free, without obligation, and without restriction.

Software: Liveupdate
LiveUpdate is a special feature of the registered version of FlashFXP. It allows for a convenient method to update the FlashFXP software. Because this is a registered version only feature, and to keep our download servers from becoming overloaded, a crc hash of your registration key is sent as an authentication token when LiveUpdate connects to our servers. No other information is transmitted.
Yes, i´ve read that text, i actually did it when i bought the license for 2.xx. What i (and a couple of others here, it seems) wonders is if this text also is valid for the new version 3?

Personally i am pretty sure it does, but just for clarification purposes and to get rid of the rumours circulating a clear and honest statement would be much appreciated....
Old 06-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #10
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Buzz
What i (and a couple of others here, it seems) wonders is if this text also is valid for the new version 3?
yes that text is valid for v3 and for all future versions for the rest of the time.
don't belive that others say? run a firewall/network sniffer yourself and see for yourself so that flashfxp does absolutly nothing but what you tell it to do.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 AM   #11
E-Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by MxxCon
yes that text is valid for v3 and for all future versions for the rest of the time.
don't belive that others say? run a firewall/network sniffer yourself and see for yourself so that flashfxp does absolutly nothing but what you tell it to do.
Excuse me for my ignorance, but are you a part of the official FlashFXP team? If so i trust your words 100%

To be sure i´ll try to figure out how to use a network sniffer so that i dont have to bug you about this anymore. I already have a firewall and router. But FlashFXP is built to use connectivity and therefore its a bit hard to restrict access for it. You see my point?

But please do understand my concerns on a matter like this, the old saying "no smoke without a fire" seems to be applicable way to often these days, when Internet connectivity seems to be built in, needed or not, into every application you install. Im not to happy with that.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #12
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

E-Buzz, although MxxCon has a crazy picture, etc he does speak for the team

He is correct, and most of the other people who have posted here.

Nothing has changed since the other versions/explanations & WILL NEVER.

FlashFXP does not send any files or settings or what ever out, and also will never.

If our word isn't good enough, as others have suggested, please by all means test it yourself.

Lets hope this puts the subject a little to rest, I for one am getting over having to answer these questions in so many different threads.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #13
E-Buzz

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
E-Buzz, although MxxCon has a crazy picture, etc he does speak for the team

He is correct, and most of the other people who have posted here.

Nothing has changed since the other versions/explanations & WILL NEVER.

FlashFXP does not send any files or settings or what ever out, and also will never.

If our word isn't good enough, as others have suggested, please by all means test it yourself.

Lets hope this puts the subject a little to rest, I for one am getting over having to answer these questions in so many different threads.
I am satisfied, thanks for the statement. No more questions about this from me
Old 06-15-2004, 04:17 AM   #14
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

No problem, thread closed.

Tags
cracked, fact, flashfxp, spyware, years