Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General General Discussion

Old 05-29-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
HoffY
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Large Version Number Change & Questions

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to submit this quiery so here i chose.

I see the version has been changed to a major release v3 from 2.1. I get the feeling that this was an unfortunate step because i've felt it was really only worthy of say a v2.5 stamp. But this is just a feeling i get personally(i have used v2.x fo ra long time so i've always been up to speed with added features etc). What do others think? I know there has been alot of changes etc but they seem mostly "under the hood" or very technical type changes that Joe Blow may never even see.

Also something that sparks this feeling is that there was a huge feature request post filled with many awesome features requested by the users etc. Of which i added quiet a few to and would love to have added to FlashFXP. I cant find this post any more would someone be able to point me to it? Aswell... many of these features were not added at all so this also gives me the impression that the v3 tag was a bit unfortunate.

I would like to find this large feature request post so i could browse through it and gather a heap of the features i'd love to see which were suggested by others and also to ask a question - could there be a feature list compiled buy the developers pointing out which features they will look at trying to implement based on this large feature request post i cannot seem to find?

Thanks and great work FlashFXP team.

PS. please note this in no way is meant to diss the FlashFXP team, i absolutely love FlashFXP.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:53 AM   #2
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Cool

It seems that with the announce of the new 3.x branch and the opening of the Customer Portal we're seeing a frenetic activity on the forum and there're a couple of versions almost every week. I'm not a friend of releasing a new version only when a minor change has been made, i prefer the 'old way': to wait and download a new version that contains a nice 'changelog' with a bunch of improvements, fixes, etc inside it (i love to read 'Changelog' files).... but hey, i'm not coding this program

Although i'll like to see a 'slow-down' of the releasing process i think that Bigstar and all of FlashFXP crew are doing a good job and this will make a better and more complete FlashFXP for we, the users.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:29 AM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

what's wrong w/ releasing new build every day/often?
you are not forced to upgrade, and there is changelog with each release.
if you see some change that might affect you, you upgrade, otherwise you wait...
this way you incrementally get better software and adjust to all the changes...
after all that's kinda how all the major opensource projects work with "nightly" builds.

instead of getting totally "unfamiliar" version once a year
Old 05-30-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
Raccoon
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

It appears a bit of the forums are currently unlinked at the moment.
You'll find many of the posts that were made earlier this month over here.

http://forum.flashfxp.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=12

Why Version 3.0 you ask?

As I commented on this post, FlashFXP 3.0 signifies our relationship with Inicom, our new publisher. We also felt that over the last 12 months of development a great number of improvements have found their way into the program, including significant changes to the site manager format, as well as the new website and registration process.

We apologize to anyone who feels we haven't made enough improvements to justify this drastic of a version change, but just take a look at comparable software and services that are already version gazillion-and-two, or gave up using numbered versions all together.

Maybe we should call it Flash FXP XP?
hmm...
Old 05-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by MxxCon
after all that's kinda how all the major opensource projects work with "nightly" builds.
Yes, i know it, as a Web Developer and IT Consultant i work with a bunch of programs that follow a 'nightly' release plan and i check their CVS/SVN/Bugzilla sites nearly every day (Apache HTTPd, Tomcat, Cocoon, Apache connector, Apache Lenya, Magnolia, etc ...) in order to download new source/binaries and compile/use in case i need an important bugfix or a new feature.

It's only that on a closed-source program, like FlashFXP is, i prefer fewer releases but more complete (maybe 'complete' isn't the right word here because i don't think that FlashFXP is an incomplete program, but as an example take a look at miRC releases, only a release each year but with a 'great' changelog) just my opinion ...

I highly appreciate the hours, days and years that Bigstar invest on FlashFXP and i'll continue supporting, using and promoting it
Old 05-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
HoffY
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks for the response guys. I dont mean to stir when i mention the version number thing. It really doesnt make a difference what number is in teh name... the features speak for themselves It was just feeling and a quiery i put out there is all.

The main thing i was chasing was that post withall the feature requests and basically to ask the question if it was possible the developers could give us a "to do" list based on that large feature request post. Hell i'd sometimes thing i'd be up to pay an "upgrade" price if i could get some of my features added
Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

With v3.0 our to-do list is empty (well almost).. Everything we wanted to add into v3.0 was added, along with quite a few other suggestions that came up in the mean time.

If a suggestion didn't make it into v3.0 either we didn't see it, it wasn't possible with the current design, or we felt most users wouldn't benefit from it. It is really important for additional features to benefit the majority of the users. We get so many suggestions that are so specific only the person suggestioning it would find it useful. While we try to cater to everyone, we do have to set some limits.

I have attached the changelog.txt to this message, it contains every documented change since v2.1 final. Some people might find it an interesting read.
Attached Files
File Type: txt changelog.txt (31.9 KB, 1762 views)
Old 05-31-2004, 02:24 AM   #8
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
... I have attached the changelog.txt to this message, it contains every documented change since v2.1 final. Some people might find it an interesting read.
Sweet, sweet changelog
Old 06-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
strooperman

When I try to DL the change log I get a corrupt file.. anyone else with this prob. ?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #10
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

corrupt ?
It's a plain text file.
Download works just fine here.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #11
strooperman

When I try to get the file it says it is a .ZIP

I saved the .zip file and renamed to .txt

thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 AM   #12
NathanO
FlashFXP Registered User

I think the v3.0 is justified. There has been more than enough changes both in the interface, options and the behind-the-scenes workings.

Plus, IniCom Networks secured the licence agreement. This in itself justifies the v3.0 release. Imagine what would have happened if they renamed the client and went back to v1.0 !! or worse ... called it FlashFXP XP.

PS: I know Charles would never let this happen :-) We are definately in good hands here.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
Tribl
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanO

Plus, IniCom Networks secured the licence agreement. This in itself justifies the v3.0 release. Imagine what would have happened if they renamed the client and went back to v1.0 !! or worse ... called it FlashFXP XP.

imagine they would have changed the licence agreement to "no lifetime upgrades" , argh that would have sucked
Old 06-18-2004, 06:05 AM   #14
NathanO
FlashFXP Registered User

Hell Yeh !! But have faith. Charles and gang seem to be hard negiotiators and look after their clients and their pride & joy that we all know and love.

Quote:
Originally posted by MxxCon
your FlashFXP is for a LIFETIME.
meaning it will apply to 2.1, 2.2, 3.0, 4.0 if that will ever happen
Taken from: Here !

Tags
added, feature, features, flashfxp, post