FlashFXP Registered User

Unhappy File overwrite issue

* FlashFXP v[3].[0], build [1014], [X]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [X] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [ ] Yes & Model [ ], [X] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [ ] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [X] No
* Running Antivirus [X] Yes, Name [Norton] or [ ] No
* Network [ ] xDSL, [ ] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [X] Other

When using the context menu (right-click) option "Rename File" in an FTP session connected to a SUN server and choosing a name of a file that already exists on the server (in effect, issuing the move command), strange behavior is occuring. The rename command is not overwriting the correct file, it is choosing another filename within the same directory and overwriting it even though that is not the name I entered. I am attaching the flashfxp.log file. The filename I entered in the rename command was "smi_ap_import.txt" and the log file shows it overwriting "src_import.txt" which is what actually occured on my system.

This all worked fine on FlashFXP 2.x.
Attached Files
File Type: txt flashfxp_log.txt (3.0 KB, 525 views)
Old 07-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

according to your log
Quote:
[R] RNFR src_import.txt
[R] 350 File exists, ready for destination name
[R] RNTO smi_ap_import.txt
[R] 250 RNTO command successful.
rename from src_import.txt
rename to smi_ap_import.txt
seems like it's doing what you want..
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
cbesch
FlashFXP Registered User

It's absolutely performing a 'move' command. Trouble is, src_import.txt is not the filename I entered. I was attempting to overwrite the file 'smi_ap_import.txt' which is the name I supplied in FlashFXP, but it seemed to randomly choose another file to overwrite in the directory (src_import.txt in this particular case).

Is there any other info could I supply to better explain my issue? I did screenshots into MS Word, but I can't upload .doc files.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
cbesch
FlashFXP Registered User

Let me outline the steps I took which may better define the issue and can be traced within the log file:

1. Transferred file 'AP_BATCH_7-24.TXT' to the server
2. On the server side, I highlighted the newly transferred file.
3. Using the right click option 'Rename File', I changed the filename to 'smi_ap_import'. A file on the server already existed with this name, so I received the pop-up dialog warning for which I said 'OK'.
4. Following the 'OK' confirmation, for whatever reason, FlashFXP overwrote the file 'src_import.txt', completely ignoring the filename I had entered. Also, the original transferred file remained on the server and the pre-existing file (smi_ap_import.txt) which should have been overwritten, was deleted instead.

Hope this helps explain the issue more.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

According to your ftp session log it appears that you attempted to rename the file "src_import.txt" to "smi_ap_import.txt"

However the way I understand your explaination you were trying to rename "AP_BATCH_7-24.TXT" to "smi_ap_import.txt".

Am I correct?

Are you sure the correct file was selected when you performed the rename?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
cbesch
FlashFXP Registered User

You are absolutlely correct. I was attempting to rename the file "AP_BATCH_7-24.TXT" to "smi_ap_import.txt". However, FlashFXP chose the "src_import.txt" file to overwrite rather than the pre-existing "smi_ap_import.txt" file. The log file is simply capturing what I believe is a glitch in the new version. Also, please do not discard the fact that it is also deleting the pre-existing "smi_ap_import.txt" file which is was actually supposed to be overwriting.

I have been doing this same procedure for over 2 years now on the previous version of FlashFXP and it was working flawlessly. I certainly hope this issue can be discovered and resolved because I really love the program and don't want to use any other.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

You are entirely correct. It took me awhile but I was able to reproduce the problem.

Thank you for your bug report.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This bug has been resolved in v3.0 final build 1015

Tags
file, flashfxp, ftp, overwriting, [x]