Old 07-04-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
James Knight

Default Upload speed problems

I have a kinda funny problem with FlashFXP 2.0 RC2

When I upload to a certain ftp, my upload speed seldom reach 160k or above.
If I fxp from my own ftp-server to the that ftp, I easily reach 800k.

I have checked my settings so that upload speed cap is above my capacity to not run into any problems with upload cap.

(I used to get the exact same speed difference between cuteftp pro 1 and 2, where 2 was a lot faster on uploads)

Thanks for any help...
note... this is not only against one ftp, but several different I can reproduce the speed problem.

(using:
Windows 2000 Professional SP 2
No firewall
Ethernet to internet)
Old 07-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

If you're not using the upload speed limiting you need to turn it off. Setting it above your capacity will reduce your overall perfomance.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:16 AM   #3
James Knight

I have tried with the upload cap turned off, with a little higher than my capacity and 999999kB/sec which is within my capacity w/o any changes.

The problem is that if I upload to an ftp directly from local browser, I reach only around 20% of the upload speed I get compared with fxp from my own ftp-server, that resides on the same computer, to other ftp's.

I have made sure that the receiving ftp is not a bottleneck, and it's not only against one ftp, but several.

myftp<-- fxp -->ftp1 -- 800+ kB/s
local<-- normal ftp -->ftp1 -- 160kB/s
Old 07-05-2002, 06:17 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

At the moment I can not explain why it's slower. I see no reason for it. On my 100mbit network I get roughly 8mb/sec upload & download.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Celerex_2

are both FTP1 and MYFTP on a local network?
Old 07-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
Celerex_2

Nm, I re-read your post.

I found that if I download from an ftp on my network I can hit speeds of lets say for sake of argument, 5meg/s. Now then, If I UPLOAD to that same server in FTP Only mode, I can maybe get 400k/s. That is if I was lucky. Now if I installed an FTP on my machine and FXPed from my machine to that server I would get the full 5meg/s speed again. I never found what was causing this. Though I think after a few formats and FlashFXP upgrades it went away.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
James Knight

Reinstalling a few times and wait for updates where it might be fixed is unfortunately not something I can do.
Having to fxp from myself to other ftps just to keep the speed optimal is something I see as a temporary solution only.
I hope a fully working solution is available before my 30 day trial period is over, or I will be forced to look for other ftp client software.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:39 PM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

One thing you might try is to install FlashFXP into a completely new folder, leaving the settings as default, connect to the ftp server and upload and see if the speed is the same.

Due to the nature of this problem and under these circumstances there isn't a whole lot that can be done.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:44 PM   #9
James Knight

Short update...
The problem is still there...
On LAN and against the Internet.
Even from a command prompt (DOS ftp), I can get speeds that max my connection, while in flashfxp it's ~20%. That applies to all uploads I have tried from local hd to ftp's.

Tags
cap, ftp, reach, speed, upload