Old 06-21-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
ExpertSeries
FlashFXP Registered User

Arrow SSL Connections/Transfers

I'm not sure if you guys have seen WinSCP, a freeware secure copy client for windows. I've been looking for an FTP client that can handle secure transfers (so I can get away from WinSCP) and was excited to read that FXP 2.0 will feature SSL.

However, I can't get the client to connect and am a bit confused by the "Implicit SSL, Auth SSL, and Auth TLS".

WinSCP features an "Advanced" Protocol options area that asks for input such as "Preferred SSH protocol version, 1 or 2" and "Encryption algorithm, 3DES or Blowfish or DES" (which is stuff I've seen in telent applications like SecureCRT). Maybe SSL and SSH are two very different things.

Regardless, it may be useful for you guys to look at the software (if you haven't already). I use it DAILY because all the servers I design for are secure (and it was annoy to use unix 'scp' everytime I wanted to transfer something).

http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/

Looking forward to the SSL!

-matt
Old 06-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This is quite different from the support we provided. SCP is not compatible with the standard FTP protocol and we will not be supporting it. The SSL/TLS support provided by FlashFXP is an extension of the FTP protocol.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
ExpertSeries
FlashFXP Registered User

Can't wait for Flash FXP 3.0 with SCP support! hahaha.
If you couldn't guess, I'm not all that protocol savy.

So in relation to Flash FXP, SSL is simply providing 'encrypted' or 'secure' FTP transfers?

Thanks! -matt
Old 06-22-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

SSL provides a secure socket layer for the ftp protocol. Both the command and data channels are encrypted.

Where as SCP is a secure copy protocol.

These two protocols are completely different. FlashFXP was built around the ftp protocol and by design there is simply no way to offer SCP support. It would be much easier to create a new application that provided SCP.

Tags
client, protocol, secure, ssl, winscp