Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
Tyro
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Update drops it back into the evaluation version

I'm being charitable and assuming this is a bug and not a deliberate attempt by the company to force more money out of their customers. This is dishonest and quite frankly, disreputable if it is not a bug.

I opened FlashFXP to be told there was a minor update. I dutifully downloaded it. It then told me that since I was upgrading to the new version I would need to purchase a new key. It has thrown my previously working FlashFXP into an evaluation version that will expire in 29 days. I have no clue what version I was updating from but I have always had the auto-update feature turned on.

For the sake of argument, assume I had version 2 or whatever it was. If it was going to disable my product it should have said so BEFORE it applied the patch and given me the choice to NOT go down this path. Is there a solution to this or do I buy a different product from a better behaved company? By solution I don't mean wipe it, lose all my settings and reinstall the old version with the auto-update turned off. If I have to go to all that trouble and possibly recreate my settings I'll just do all that with a different product.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

FlashFXP v3.x requires a new registration key, Previous users can obtain an updated registration key for free.

If you still have the original email address that you used to purchase FlashFXP you can enter it on the following page
https://secure.flashfxp.com/keyupgrade.php and receive your updated key instantly.

Otherwise you're going to need to contact support@inicom.net and provide them with your old registration key and information.

BTW the installer clearly states that if you're currently using FlashFXP 2.x you'll need to upgrade your key and re-enter it.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
Tyro
FlashFXP Registered User

I saw no such clear message. Something buried in a EULA is not a clear message if that's where it is. There was NO clear popup or warning. It did, however give me a registration key when I used that link you provided.

Maybe the box that tells us we need to buy a new key should have that information about free upgrade if we apply for it in it as well, rather than just the send us more money box that is there now. Thank you for the link.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Here's a screenshot of the installer, This is the very first screen of the installer.

When you upgrade from v2.x or older normally you would see a custom message specific to upgrading from v2.x or older. If you uninstall your older version prior to upgrading or install into a new folder you will not see this message.

Based on your original post it was my understanding that for whatever reason you didn't see it.

Most people see the custom upgrade registration key message.
Attached Thumbnails
Update drops it back into the evaluation version-fxp-install-jpg  

Tags
flashfxp, product, told, update, version