Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
chotaire
FlashFXP Scripter

Default Slow SSL dirlistings with glftpd 1.32/2.0RC3

* FlashFXP v[3].[0], build [1022], [x]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [x] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [x] Yes & Model [Linux iptables], [ ] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [x] Yes, Name [Linux iptables and Kerio Personal Firewall v4.0], Ver. [iptables-1.2.8-101], or [ ] No
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [Symantec Antivirus 9.x] or [ ] No
* Network [x] xDSL, [ ] CABLE, [ ] Dial-Up, [ ] Other

----------

The amount of features speak for itself with glftpd. It's simply the best ftp server I can imagine. However, one thing keeps me busy.

When doing SSL dirlistings with directories larger than around 40kb/s, dirlistings can take like 10 seconds to complete. The average transfer speed for dirlistings is around 3kb/s. I see similar happenings when transferring ASCII files.

I began facing this problem with FlashFXP 3.0 Beta releases. At earlier stages the whole client was even hanging. Now that this is fixed, ssl dirlistings still appear slow. Way slower than with FlashFXP 2.* release.

One thing keeps me wondering, although I have updated the server to glftpd version 2.0RC3 (which is said to have fixed their own SSL slowliness issues), I still see no speed improvements besides that SSL ascii transfers get chunked in bigger packets. Overall performance stays the same: Bad.

When accessing the same server with e.g. FlashFXP v2.0 Beta 3, I don't face this problem.

I have already contacted glftpd coders if there's something forgotten within their closed-source stuff. However, I hear reports from everywhere it seems all fine.. with OTHER ftp clients.

So all that I have left now is to contact you guys from IniCom. Is there anything that can be done? I'm just totally fed up transferring directories with 3kb/s (even when accessing a local 100mbit/s machine). Do you have any suggestions besides turning on FlashFXP dirlisting cache? Do you think it's a glftpd issue instead?

Please advise.
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
chotaire
FlashFXP Scripter

Default *RESOLVED*

Sorry for taking your time, this is resolved, it truely was a glftpd issue even if it worked faster with other clients (for whatever reason).

Just if someone has the same problem, let me tell you how to fix it if the following happens:

When using SSL dirlistings, the initial dirlisting of large directories (over ~40kb) will take ages. After that, even with no directory cache at all, it will just go perfectly fast.. So what is the problem?

It's one tiny setting inside glftpd.conf that causes this:

use_dir_size ......

Comment it out, restart ftp session et voila, FIXED.

Tags
dirlistings, flashfxp, ftp, ssl, [x]