Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
johan_3
FlashFXP Registered User

Post Hardcoded font colour prevents non standard Windows colour theme.

Version: 3.4 RC3, registered. On XP Pro Eng.

I'm one of those quirky users who uses a non-default colour theme in Windows. Usually not a problem, but sometimes a program comes along that either hardcode the text colour or get the wrong one (Like ACDSEE <= 7.0 that used 3dbuttontext in the menu). This is sort of equivalent to writing a webpage and only setting the background colour and not the font colour. works fine if you take for granted the background is white.

Problem: White text on white background during installation. I tried attaching a screenshot but the board told me I do not have privilegies to access that page.

Now, I've had this problem with other programs like for instance Canon's camera software that is partially self-skinning and rather poorly at that, and ACDSEE until version 8. Usually people don't listen because users of skinning programs tend to get frowned upon and the skinning program get blamed since that is the easy way not having to fix a bug just affecting a very small user base. Well, I know it isn't the skinning programs fault, I can load just the same colour theme without the skinning bits and get the same result. Sadly enough it took me the sheer luck of knowing one of the developers of ACDSEE to get them to acknowledge the bug and fix it. Now, who here wants to become my friend?

Oh and also, the swedish in the installer is pretty bad, I counted to at least five misspellings and two odd phrases. Send me a translation file and I'll fix it. (The language in the actual program is fine).

To replicate the problem, try using Windowblinds and the theme Blackcomb that comes with it. I can also e-mail a screenshot upon request.

Edit: Inserted screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardcoded font colour prevents non standard Windows colour theme.-flashfxp_34_rc3_setup-jpg  

Last edited by johan_3; 06-11-2006 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Attaching images.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Linkster
Administrator

We'll look into this on Monday (it was a REALLY long week, and our devs deserve a break). As for attachments, I just checked permissions, and you should be able to post...give it a shot now by editing your post.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
johan_3
FlashFXP Registered User

Attachements work now. I had to make a new screenshot and uninstall the program first, so I noticed the Swedish is just as bad in the uninstaller as the installer. Funny enough the font colours are right during uninstall.

Linkster, I was positively surprised at anyone actually caring, and I do realise this is hardly an urgent issue, I'd be so happy if anyone did anything about this at all within a YEAR. I've been given deaf ears and runarounds (Canon) to pure rudeness (Powerarchiver) for the same problem, it's not exactly something most think of.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan_3
Linkster, I was positively surprised at anyone actually caring

if they didn't care, they wouldn't have this forum...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Linkster
Administrator

After investigation, this issue is more complex than a simple fix can rectify. Why would windowblinds change a hardcoded font color? If the installer background is white, the text MUST be something other than white to see it.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #6
johan_3
FlashFXP Registered User

As far as I know, they ARE not hardcoded, but some people take for granted that they do not change. Basically you can't force a background colour without taking the text ditto into consideration. These bugs usually get worked out, but it takes a lot of forum posts to get people to get their mind out of the frame. Not being a Windows coder and explain the detail I've asked Kris at Stardock to pop by and post to clarify. I hope he can find the time to do so.

/Johan
Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
johan_3
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon

if they didn't care, they wouldn't have this forum...
MxxCon, I didn't mean that the people here are not good at support, I mean that _I_ am not used to this type of response.

Tags
colour, problem, program, theme, windows