Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
peaceomind
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Inherited Explorer Bugs

* FlashFXP v[3].[3].[7], build [1130], [x]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [x] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [x] Yes & Model [D-Link DI-604], [ ] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [ ] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [x] No
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [Symantec Corporate] or [ ] No
* Network [ ] xDSL, [x] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other

This bug applies to all recent versions of the software.

I understand that it is an elegant solution, in many ways, to embed Windows Explorer functionality in FlashFXP, but it also creates some problems. For instance, I cannot view .png files in my Windows shell (WinXP sp2). I have no idea what causes this bug--I've never had the motivation to track it down. I usually just don't view .png files in Explorer. I do, however, want to upload them to a remote server via FTP. Trying to do so using FlashFXP causes a strange hang, since the program insists on viewing the files in Explorer.

This may be considered a "design limitation," but it's a serious issue. There are a number of files, I think, supported by Windows that Explorer does not handle correctly. Whenever FlashFXP hits one of these files, it hangs. When I'm trying to upload a large queue, unattended, this is a major problem.

Is there an option in FlashFXP to turn off directory viewing? I don't really need to see my files before they get uploaded. I'm not sure there is a good way for the program to detect this error, since the hang presumably occurs outside of your code.

As a final note, I want to say that I'm very happy with 3.4rc1 - I notice a marked speed increase over 3.2, especially in terms of constant-time operations (directory changing, initiating transfer, etc.)
Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

You could try this.
Options > Preferences > Display > Options
Uncheck "Accurate file system shell icons"

FlashFXP doesn't technically use an embeded Windows Explorer, Though it may appear that way. The local browser is an emulated version of the windows explorer shell.

Would it be possible to send us some of these problem images for testing? If I can narrow the problem down in a dev enviroment I might be able to trap and prevent the hanging.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

unless I'm misunderstanding you, i never experienced or even heard of the issue you describe.
i know that Explorer has some problems displaying .png files, but it shouldn't affect regular plain file listing...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
peaceomind
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks for the quick reply, bigstar. Your suggestion fixed the problem.

I've been spending quite some time trying to reproduce this bug in a deterministic way. There must be something going on that I'm not aware of--the error seems to occur only with certain paths, and I can't figure out the exact conditions for a bad path. I've attached an archive with one example of a path that causes both Explorer and FlashFXP (with "Accurate icons" turned on) to crash. Place the whole directory structure in your root, then try to view the png files at the bottom of the directories. Assuming you experience the same bug, you can see the craziness of this bug for yourself: try moving the files one directory up; or try removing 5 characters from any directory name; or try renaming the directory "ffxp bug" to "aaaaaaaa" (8 a's). For me, doing any of these things causees the bug to disappear.

Sorry I couldn't provide more specific information--there are some variables here I'm not noticing. I'd be very interested to see if anyone else experiences this bug with the files I provided.
Attached Files
File Type: rar bug.rar (4.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 05-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

I can't reproduce the bug. I have tried, without any problem:

* Moving one file to another directory inside your dir structure.
* Editing (and viewing) the .png files through Flash FXP (using the Window shell menu). The .png files are opened with Macromedia Fireworks without problems.
* Renaming any 'aaaa' dir

By the way, "Accurate icons" option (inside 'Preferences / Options' menu) is turned on. All these tests were performed on FlashFXP v3.3.6 build 1122 (Windows 2003 Standard Edition with SP1).
Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i couldn't reproduce this problem either.
i wonder what his system is showing as icons for png. maybe some addon that generates thumbnails? similar to windows' builtin thumbnails for bmp..
i have a static icon from irfanview.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
peaceomind
FlashFXP Registered User

Strange... it must be something specific to my system. I'm not at my system now, but I do have thumbnails as icons. I'm not sure what generates these icons--I assumed it was handled by the OS (XP Pro SP2). I'll post again if I figure it out.

Tags
files, flashfxp, ftp, upload, [x]