Joker

Default cpu goes +80% when speedlimit is on

Using build 1110
winxp pro sp2 all patched up
p4 2.4ghz / 512mb ram
zonealarm pro
kaspersky av

when ever i enable the speedlimit the cpu usage by flashfxp.exe goes over 80%
this also happened a couple of builds before such as v3.2final.
I remember an old bug filed here maybe a year ago that described the same thing. At that time I did not have the speedlimit problem.

I now have adsl 8/1mbit and when i set download speedlimit to 500kb/s the cpu usage is high. If I disable it the cpu usage drops back again.
I also tested with the upload speedlimiter and limited the upload speed to 60kb/s and cpu goes high also.
A reinstall of flashfxp did NOT fix my problem.

The behavior is the same wether I download to my system disc, or another disc.

And a quick question.. isit normal that flashfxp uses ~20% cpu when downloading at ~800kb/s?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

No such thing here, do you have any software firewall running? Alot of these causes much problems with these things.

EDIT: Oops, you're indeed running Zonealarm Pro. In my experience this software is really a pain in the *ss. Perhaps you can try to really uninstall it (just disabling won't work) and try if it still happens.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This is not the normal behavior.

In this situation the cpu usage for speedlimit on/off should be nearly identical.

The actual cpu usage should be alot closer to 1-5%.

We have determined that in some cases ZoneAlarm will increase the cpu usage of applications that use TCP/IP. There is no pattern to this problem, it appears to be seemingly random. Users who uninstalled ZoneAlarm noticed an immediate decrease in cpu usage and an overall improvement of their internet connection.

The above mentioned problem with ZoneAlarm has also been noticed with Norton Internet Security.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Joker

Did some further tests on this..

First I tried to put the speedlimit on 9999 kb/s
same thing happens, cpu goes +80, keep in mind that my maximum download speed is ~850kb/s so in my opinion flashfxp should not even have to react there.

I also then uninstalled (yes uninstall not just turn off) zone alarm, and I still find the same behaviour happening.

Please check this old thread about the same behaviour

http://www.inicom.net/forum/showthre...ht=speed+limit

To give more info, The ftp servers used are using SSL, and this is happening on both glftpd and raidenftpd sites.

Ive tried to download from ftp.sunet.se (no SSL) and no problem exists there.
I also tried with speedlimit enabled to transfer to my xbox (no SSL) and same thing here, no problem at all.

Installed Zone Alarm pro again (v5.5.094) and tried to download with a trial version of ftprush, no problem there with SSL sites whatsoever.

So conclusion is that the problem lays behind Flashfxp and its ways to handle SSL transfers that doesnt work good together.

This is an really important feature for me, because when I download and max out my connection ALL other programs running in the background times out (msn/mirc etc). Thats why I need to be able to limit the download.

Using build 1110
winxp pro sp2 all patched up
p4 2.4ghz / 512mb ram
zonealarm pro
kaspersky av
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have a couple of possible solutions.

First:
By chance does your PC have HyperThreading enabled?

I vaguely recall a single instance where FlashFXP was using 100% cpu during transfers (I don't recall if speed limiting was enabled) and when Hyperthreading was disabled the problem went away.

We were unable to reproduce the problem on our own hardware.

Second:
Zone Alarm has been known to mess up windows winsock and this Winsock fix below seems to solve the problem for most people. You might consider giving it a try.

Winsock Fix http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Tags
cpu, download, flashfxp, speedlimit, upload