Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
sTe
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Txt / bin

I know in the old days, FTP and using TXT mode for transferring files, that one of the reasons was to try and preserve some bandwidth.

Now we are in the modern internet age where saving of a few bytes doesn't have the same savings in bandwidth these days ... or at least in my eyes. So there maybe others who feel very different to my proposal.

We have text/code editors that can switch between windows / unix LF/CR formatting.

So I am wondering should the default transfer mode now be BIN.
I know there have been some issues where transferring TXT files has resulted in some funky server side conversions.

By switching to BIN as the default, if a user wishes to switch to TXT file transfer they would make the change themselves, that way if there are any odd file conversions then the user should be aware they made the switch and potentially are more aware of this fact. A BIN transfer would ensure the file contents are transferred as it is from the server side.

Is this something we can vote on, or does the community have any thoughts on this? Maybe someone has valid arguments for keeping it as it is, and so I just wish to hear what other might think about this suggestion as my view might not match the bigger world out there.

Kind Regards
Closed Thread

Tags
bin, ftp, switch, transfer, txt

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: