Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Flash FXP not working on Win 7

* FlashFXP v 5.0.0, build [3804], registered
* OS: HDD 1 - WinXP SP3 32-bit / HDD 2 - Win 7 SP1 32-bit
* Running behind modem/router: Comcast Technicolor TC8306C
* Running firewall: XP - Comodo Internet Suite V-8.0.0.4344 / Win 7 - Default Windows Firewall
* Running Antivirus: XP - Comodo Internet Suite V-8.0.0.4344, Win 7 - Microsoft Security Essentials V-4.6.305.0
* Network: CABLE

additional info if related
* FTP server(s) name: pure-ftpd, version:1.0.36

I've been using FlashFXP on Win XP since 2007 and am really happy with it. I've not had any problems with it.
Recently I bought Win 7 OEM and installed it on a second hard drive. I installed FlashFXP and it wouldn't connect to the server. All I got was Connection failed (Connection timed out).
Switching back to the XP drive FlashFXP connected just fine.

I can't figure out why it won't connect in the Win 7 install. I also can't connect to the server using FTP in Win 7 Windows Explorer, but I can with XP.

The only other things I have installed on the Win 7 drive is MSE and most of the Windows patches, with the exception of the 20+ Net Framework patches.
I have not tweaked Win 7 in any way yet. I don't see any sense in trying to personalize Win 7 if I'm not going to use it, and if I can't get FlashFXP to work I'll keep using XP. I maintain 9 websites so having FlashFXP is pretty important.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get it to work?

Below is the results of the Status window from XP and Win 7(edited for obvious reasons), if it helps any.

Edit 1: It seems I can't add the Status window report due to excessive tags. Basically the Win 7 report simply states "Connection failed (Connection timed out)"

Edit 2: I forgot to mention: I imported the settings to the Win 7 install of Flash from the XP install, although I don't think I made any changes to the default settings in the XP install of FlashFXP.
I also tried it without importing the overall settings but just the sites ftp file before I imported the overall settings.

Edit 3: I would like to add that I don't think this is a FlashFXP issue, nor a server issue. I believe it's a Win 7 issue.
I'm just hoping for a little help with it from someone that is more knowledgeable than me.

Last edited by HawkDawg; 01-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I've never encountered this type of issue and I've installed FlashFXP onto many fresh Win7 SP1 32bit/64 bit installs (+all critical updates)

I'm not sure what would cause this, you could try explicitly allowing FlashFXP in Windows Firewall, or adding/removing any existing rules and re-adding them.

Quote:
Edit 1: It seems I can't add the Status window report due to excessive tags.
I've never seen this type of error before when posting session logs. Was it a forum error or website error? This is quite strange.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
I've never encountered this type of issue and I've installed FlashFXP onto many fresh Win7 SP1 32bit/64 bit installs (+all critical updates)

I'm not sure what would cause this, you could try explicitly allowing FlashFXP in Windows Firewall, or adding/removing any existing rules and re-adding them.
I guess I should have also stated that I tried disabling Windows Firewall and got the same results. I also tried after installing Comodo Internet Suite (which includes a firewall), as is on the XP drive, and still got the same results. Also, as I mentioned, I couldn't connect to the server through Windows Explorer on the Win 7 drive. That's why I don't think it's a Flash FXP issue.
I too find this issue quite strange. I'm not a novice computer user but I figured it might be some setting in Win 7, which I'm not familiar with yet, that is causing this. I thought maybe someone here might have some advice.
I will try allowing FlashFXP in the firewall, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't make any difference.

Quote:
I've never seen this type of error before when posting session logs. Was it a forum error or website error? This is quite strange.
It wasn't the session logs I was trying to post. It was the text from the Status window within FlashFXP. The session logs didn't really give any noticeable relevant information.
It was probably all the [R]'s and x's I used to block out the IP address that the forum didn't like, indicating there were too many tags. 20 too many to be exact, according to the error message I got.
I've attached the text files, if you think it will help any.

Edit 1: I tried adding FlashFXP to the allowed list in Windows Firewall and still no good.
I wonder if it's a Comcast issue or even a server issue blocking ftp connections from Win 7? I'll contact the server tech and see what he says, although I can't see how the server could be blocking Win 7 ftp connections when it's just fine in XP.

Edit 2: I think I figured out the problem. A while back I raised the security level in my router firewall to medium. I just went back in and lowered it back to low level and I was able to connect to my server with FlashFXP.
Strange that I have to have a lower security level for the firewall in my router for Win 7 than for XP.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: txt XP_Status_Window.txt
File Type: txt Win7_Status_Window.txt

Last edited by HawkDawg; 01-24-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

That is very strange. I have never heard of anyone having to do something like that before. Let me do some research and see what I can find.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

It would be interesting if you do find something.

I should add that the lower firewall setting in the router is the default setting. I just didn't feel like that was good enough, me being rather obsessed with Internet security.
Maybe it's something on Comcast's end.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

I don't know if this will help any or not, but here's some screenshots of the firewall settings in the router.
Minimum is what I had to set it on for FlashFXP to work in Win 7. The Typical setting worked fine in XP.
Attached Thumbnails
Flash FXP not working on Win 7-router-minimum-jpg   Flash FXP not working on Win 7-router-custom-jpg   Flash FXP not working on Win 7-router-typical-jpg   Flash FXP not working on Win 7-router-maximum-jpg  
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I didn't find much information online other than many times over people giving help to other users by telling them that the firewall needs to be set to minimum or custom. (maybe typical is blocking too much on Windows 7?)

Looking at your router firewall settings from the captures you took it looks like this controls the behavior for incoming connections from the internet to your local network, by limiting which ports are allowed.

This doesn't say or show anything that might indicate any limitations or blocking with outgoing connections.

As far as I can tell Typical should work for most situations.

I was thinking... The networking stack in Windows 7 is completely different than Windows XP, I know that when Windows 7 first came out there were many network compatibility issues because of these changes. It's possible that Windows 7 requires Minimum due to these differences.

The only way to know exactly what's going on is if there was some sort of firewall log that showed exactly what type of traffic was being blocked and why it was blocked.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
The only way to know exactly what's going on is if there was some sort of firewall log that showed exactly what type of traffic was being blocked and why it was blocked.
Good thought. I'll check the CP of the router and see if there's any logs available.

Edit 1: Well, that didn't help. There was only one entry log for the firewall and that was for just a few minutes ago, so that's nothing to do with yesterday.
I found an entry in the system logs about a time out, but that was on Jan. 14, and I think that was before I installed Win 7.
The event log didn't give me anything either. Not in the right date range anyway.

Oh well! It's working now. I just wish I knew why I had to lower the hardware firewall settings for Win 7. Strange!!!

Thanks for your help though. It's much appreciated.

Last edited by HawkDawg; 01-25-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

How ancient is your router if it lists kazaa and gnutella?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
HawkDawg
FlashFXP Registered User

I couldn't find a date on it anywhere. It does comply with the latest Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 standards though.

It's this one.

TC8305 Cable Gateway - Technicolor

Last edited by HawkDawg; 01-28-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, fxp, win, installed, connect, drive, patches, connection, work, windows, server, window, status, add, report, personalize, helps, sense, tags, tweaked, excessive, due, reasons, ideas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: