Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Peter223

Default Multithreading ?

Hello,

im From Germany and i will try write it in English.

I want to buy FlashFXP. I like the interface and useable.

But, what is the different to FileZilla?

If i try to Upload many File in Filezilla i can use EASY more then one thread...why i can't use this feature here?

4 Years ago it means it would be implement / it is on "to do"...but now it is 2014...
http://www.flashfxp.com/forum/flashf...yes-again.html

in year 2014....only use one thread..no, thats not wat i want.

All the developers want to earn money but without Multithreading in 2014? No.

So, can i hope that Multithreading is comming?

LG
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

You have to remember that I am only one person and spreading my time between technical and sales support, website, beta testing, and finally software development. Ordered based on priority, this doesn't leave me as much time for software development. It has taken me nearly 2 years to upgrade the source code to a newer compiler and implement full unicode/utf8 support (all while updating and maintaining v4.x as well - A separate code base), but at last we've made it to v5.0 RC1.

For many months now I've worked almost non-stop from morning to night, Putting in so many hours that my kids have started making jokes about a stranger in the house (when I'm roaming around outside my home office)

I have 4 lovely kids and just earlier today (like 4 hours ago) my youngest said to me dad I wish you didn't have to work so much, I really want you to play basketball with me. I said to him that I needed to finish some more work and we'll see, but truthfully I know there's a 99% chance I am not going to have time. I still have hours of work to do. Sure I can put it off but do we really want to delay v5.0 much longer?

Eventually I will get to parallel file transfers but I can't give any sort of time frame on when it will happen. Once v5 is released I plan on spending a bit more time with my family before moving on to the next major release, which will most likely include support for parallel transfers.

However there is one thing that may delay or even hinder future major releases, and that is the lack of community support and feedback and by that I mean people willing to help me with beta testing and report bugs and give me feedback. For version v4.x we had over 5k beta testers at one point where-as for v5.x we have less than 100 active beta testers.

Oh and BTW one thing that slows down (FlashFXP) FTP in general is the round-trip time for each command, even with 150ms latency between the FTP client and the server can amply the time it takes to transfer many small files. Especially when multiple commands are sent. So how do we solve this, by not sending as many commands, however by doing this we are trading accuracy for speed. Change these settings either per-site or globally (File Transfer Rules > Advanced Settings > uncheck "Request file size/date prior to transfer", and if you do this you may as well also uncheck the "Preserve File Date") This will speed up transfers by 50% by eliminating these additional commands from being sent to the server and then having to wait for a reply.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Peter223

You work alone on this project?
This is very impressive. For real.
I can completely understand your argument.

Sorry, but it is sending you a very great pity, because I work a lot with CMS and also needs to transfer many files. I like the flashfxp really like. But at the latest when you have to transfer many files I'm still rely on other tools. I'm currently working with Notepad + + and the plugin NPPftp and Filezilla.

When everything was in a client would be more than great.

It's just that I've been looking for multithreading and have just found the contribution of years ago.

------------------------

Du arbeitest alleine an diesem Projekt?
Das ist sehr beeindruckend. Wirklich.
Ich kann deine Argumentation vollständig nachvollziehen.

Leider aber ist es widerum sehr sehr schade, weil ich viel mit CMS arbeite und auch viele Dateien übertragen muss. Ich mag den flashfxp wirklich gern. Aber spätestens dann, wenn man viele Dateien übertragen muss bin ich immernoch auf andere Tools angewiesen. Im Moment arbeite ich mit Notepad++ und dem Plugin NPPftp und Filezilla.

Wenn mal alles in einem Client wäre wäre das mehr als großartig.

Es ist nur so, das ich nach Multithreading gesucht habe und eben den Beitrag von vor Jahren gefunden habe.
Closed Thread

Tags
2014, comming, filezilla, multithreading, thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: