Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
pbryanw
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Connection to local ftp server is slow until I stop and resume transfer

Hi,

I'm connecting to a Dune Media Player (downstairs), which has an external hard-drive attached with my movie files on it.

It has ftp access, and so far I've been using FlashFXP to transfer files to the external hard-drive from my computer upstairs (the external hard-drive is powered on first).

The only problem is that when I first transfer the file, I'm getting anything from 2.80MB/s to 5.00MB/s variable transfer speed. This is over Homeplug networking. I know, however, that I should be getting over 7.00MB/s. And once I stop, then resume, the transfer in FlashFXP this is the speed I get.

I've tried leaving the transfer running but it never speeds up. I've also tried using FileZilla to see if that had the problem, but I get fast speeds straight away using that program.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Its very difficult to say. This is not typical and I'm afraid there are many factors.

What version of Windows are you using?

What version/build of FlashFXP are you using?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
pbryanw
FlashFXP Registered User

Hi,

Thanks for your help & reply. I'm using Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and FlashFXP 4.1.8 (build 1701). Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials are being used on the PC. So far I've tried reinstalling FlashFXP, and also deleting then recreating the bookmark for the Media Player in Site Manager.

The size of the files I'm transferring vary from 4 - 40GB in size. Both Filezilla and FlashFXP (FlashFXP after stopping and resuming the transfer) seem to settle on the same upload rate of 7.5-7.7MB/s. It's just the transfer rate in FlashFXP after a fresh upload that differs.

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by pbryanw; 01-31-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
pbryanw
FlashFXP Registered User

Well I thought I'd try uploading from a different hard-drive to the Media Player, and found that I was getting full speeds straight away using the other drive. The other drive is a Western Digital 640GB Caviar Blue, while the Movies drive is a Samsung 2TB HD204UI.

On all my drives I have write caching turned off (and the "Quick Performance" policy enabled), but I thought I'd see if turning it on would improve the problem on the Samsung. With the "Better Performance" policy enabled and then "enable write caching on this device" ticked, file transfers from the drive to the Media Player reached full-speed (over 7MB/s) within a matter of seconds, and stayed at this level. I've tested about six-seven uploads and so far all transfers have worked normally since enabling write-caching.

Regards.

Paul
Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This is quite interesting, I have never experienced a situation where changing the drive device policy has effected the read performance, typically this only effects the write performance.

Out of curiosity what are your TCP/IP buffer size settings in FlashFXP?
Options > Preferences > Connection > TCP/IP Buffer size
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
pbryanw
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
Out of curiosity what are your TCP/IP buffer size settings in FlashFXP?
Options > Preferences > Connection > TCP/IP Buffer size
Hi, thanks again for the reply - both sizes are set to (default).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
This is quite interesting, I have never experienced a situation where changing the drive device policy has effected the read performance, typically this only effects the write performance.
It does seem strange, but I've tried toggling the cache setting back and forth a few times (then trying a few uploads each time) to confirm the result, and it seems to fix the problem for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburny View Post
It seems I have a similar problem.
Since I updated to version 4.1.8.1701 I can't download from my Humax PVR anymore. I can connect, but after 2 minuts looking at a blank directory, I get a "list error".
Hi, that seems a slightly different problem to the one I had. It might be worth starting a new thread for that, or maybe an admin can do that for you?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
joeburny
FlashFXP Registered User

Sounds like a good plan indeed. Don't want to hijack your thread
Closed Thread

Tags
external, flashfxp, ftp, hard-drive, transfer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: