Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
itstone

Default Can FlashFXP distribute the disk space before download?

I noticed when i use FlashFXP to download a file from a FTP site,the file size started from 0 byte and increased by the time,and after the downloading is complete,i found a lot of disk fragment.Can FlashFXP distribute the disk space before downloading to avoid the disk fragment?I know FlashGet has this kind of function.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

flashfxp doesn't pre-allocate disk space because then it would be impossible to resume incomplete transfers.

flashget keeps info of what was downloaded internally, and it's usable only by flashget, nothing else.

flashfxp, or any other ftp client in the world would see that a local file is x bytes but remote file is y bytes and it'll be able to resume transfer knowing exactly which bytes to get.

disk fragmentation is a pretty insignificant thing. it can be easily addressed by running a defrag once a night or even once a week.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
itstone

Thanks for the reply.
You are right,FlashGet keeps task info in a .jcd file.
About the disk fragmentation,if FlashFXP stores the received data in order,then the fragmentation should not exist,but in fact it does. For example,I just formatted partition E in NTFS,and downloaded a 2GB file in this partition by FlashFXP without any interruption.Then I run the Windows XP defragment and it said I should defrag this partition...It seems FlashFXP store the data in a random order I'm not worried about the fragmentation now,just a little curious.

Last edited by itstone; 11-16-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

flashfxp doesn't store data in any order.
flashfxp receives data from a server and then when buffers are full, initiates a flush. It's up to OS to write out data from those buffers to disk in whatever order it does.

just because a file is fragmented doesn't mean it'll always perform slower than a contiguous file. in ntfs some level of fragmentation is natural and there is nothing can be done about that.
furthermore, if you have other activity on that disk, OS might have no choice but to fragment a file.

Tags
disk, download, downloading, flashfxp, ftp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: