Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
alan_5
FlashFXP Registered User

Question help, bookmarks won't load? v3.6,Windows7 (bookmarks.dat)

* FlashFXP v3.6.0, build 1240, registered
* Windows 7 Pro
* Running behind hardware router/firewall - Linksys
* Not Running software firewall
* Not Running Antivirus
* Network - Cable

Hi, I've used FlashFXP (same version) on a laptop w/XP for years, and am setting up a new windows 7 desktop now, and would like to have the same sites and bookmarks.

I was able to import the sites from sites.dat from the old laptop with no problem (using Sites-> Import sites), and all my sites show up in the site manager.

I copied c:\Program Files\FlashFXP\bookmarks.dat (66kb) from the XP laptop into C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\3\ folder on the windows 7 desktop where I finally found the new data files including my Sites.dat (88k), so Bookmarks.dat and Sites.dat are definitely in the same place.

I thought for sure this would do it, but when I connect to sites, all the bookmarks are still blanked out (not loading, just the gold star to add a new one).

My productivity will be so screwed without these bookmarks!!, can anyone help me figure out why it's not loading the bookmarks.dat, or force it to, etc.? There was an existing 1kb bookmarks.dat file and I overwrote it, so I can't imagine why that didn't work, thought for sure it would..

I tried upper and lower bookmarks.dat, restarted, checked permissions etc.. can't think of anything else to try?

Thanks so much for your time and any help/advice!!
Alan Densmore
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It sounds like you've done everything right, although the best way to move your settings over is to use the Backup / Restore feature built into FlashFXP. If you still have access to your original installation I would recommend you do that. click here for more info.

Since you tried copying the files over it may have messed up the ACL or file permissions but its really hard to say for sure.

You can verify the location of your FlashFXP data folder from within FlashFXP, from the main menu, Help > About, and then click on the Details tab.

Re-installing FlashFXP may not be able to resolve the issue if there's a permission problem with the data file.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
alan_5
FlashFXP Registered User

Smile REINSTALL WORKED/FIXED thank you

Thanks for the above response!, and from
MxxCon
i suggest you reinstall flashfxp and put your files into your profile dir.

For anyone else that this will help,::
Bottom line yeah it was just ignoring the Bookmarks.dat file that I was manually copying in, even though it was in the right place, maybe because of some quirky disassociation or permissions or whatever.

So I made a temp directory with my
Sites.dat
Bookmarks.dat
FlashFXP.ini

Uninstalled my registered version,
Download the trial version,
Installed,
***And chose custom install:***
It gives you the option later to specify that temp folder above with those 3 settings files, and it picks them up during the install and must get them associated and installed properly --
When I opened FlashFXP after the new custom install, all my sites AND BOOKMARKS where there! Yea, I love FlashFXP!. : )
(Next I'll re-register the trial version with my code etc.)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
Closed Thread

Tags
bookmarks, bookmarks.dat, data files, flashfxp, import

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: