Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
info_60
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
Yes, I will post an exclusive beta to registered users within the next couple weeks.

I ran into a few bumps with the integrated translation editor and I need to find a php/mysql coder who can do some back end work for me. I can probably do it myself but lately I've extremely busy and I don't know when I'll find time.
Thanks for the update.^^
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
smartftp1

Default SmartFTP setting standards

Dear Charles ...

After looking through your recent feature announcements I'm very happy to see that SmartFTP is setting the standards and doing the innovations in the FTP client market and others are trying very hard to copy them.

Let me give you an example. Take a look at our file exist rules dialog:

And then compare it to yours:

At least if you copy our features do not make it so obvious. Otherwise you look like the fools at UltraFXP (now FTPRush) which I remember your company sued (or tried to) for copyright infringement. And we all know what happened to UltraFXP resp. FTPRush. And I personally do not wish the same for you.

Regards,
Mat
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Hello Mat,

Its nice to see your following our progress.

The design and logic is somewhat similar but I'm really not sure what to say, other than that great minds think alike?

/EDIT

In all seriousness, I didn't intentionally copy your UI design, the fact that they are somewhat similar is a bit of a mystery to me.

I came up with the listbox with a header and button controls and went from there, this design has replaced most of the old lists, like the ones in the filter dialog and is used in the new schedule, its clean and functionality, though I was informed by a couple blind users that the new design less than ideal for them.

The text styling is based on delphi language coloring syntax I use.

Originally I had buttons that allowed the user to insert IF AND THEN along with the comparison expressions but this ended up being too involved for the user.

EDIT/

I've been wanting to display the file transfer rules as IF THEN statements for ages, such as this thread specifically this post from back in 2004.

I'm not sure why this is being compared to ultrafxp. But I like how rushftp.com redirects to smartftp.com, I thought it was renamed rushftp, not ftprush, but I guess its an obvious mistake. A big win for you guys.

In a sightly unrelated topic, I've got some big news coming next week...

Last edited by bigstar; 08-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #19
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Exclamation

Mat

I looked at the Dialogues and while you have to admit the logic is somewhat similar because there is not too many ways if at all possible of doing the same the whole design is by far more complete in both options and flexibility with ffxp then what you show from you program.

Its good that you think that smartftp is setting the standards in the ftp market however its not the case with every single option and ui that anyone comes up with otherwise its like the chicken or the egg case here since their both FTP clients then at some stage similarities will occur because the lot of FTP client and server are limited... Claiming someone has stolen your design is while serious clearly unfounded since by extension UI and option on the whole dialogue are clearly not the same.

There is always the scenario you have to look at since FFXP is as much as a ftp client as SmartFTP and its a little off to think just because something is similar than it must be ripped off.

I could sift trough dozens of FTP clients and claim they are all the same fundamentally so who stole who's ideas?

I'm a designer and on field on the internet is more saturated by ideas that originality is almost impossible we use same techniques and inspire ourselves in others work to achieve what we need but we not at each others throats or in court just because we done a shine or reflection or design that has similar elements in it, it would just stop evolution if we all stopped improving.

I a sad day when more grief has to be had for such coincidental and inevitable clashes occur, shame really.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
Ranbir

any more updates?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Deleted text.

Last edited by DYN_DaTa; 09-20-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I've been working hard at getting the website re-designed, its coming along slowly when it comes to php, mysql, css, and javascript they are not my strong points.

As far as FlashFXP goes. I'd really like to release a new beta build next week to registered users, however there's one thing holding me back, the integrated translation editor.

The new release will sport a new translation editor built into FlashFXP, the idea I had was that users could submit their translations directly from within FlashFXP to a db on the website, moderators assigned by us could then approve or deny individual lines of text. The problem is getting the backend to work and work well. my web dev skills are lacking bad in this department.

The new version also uses a new license key and the idea was that FlashFXP would be able to auto fetch the new key and do a smooth upgrade, so far in tests this seems to work well.

Since this release is so close to being completed everything has been updated to reflect v4.0, including data folder locations and registry keys. The installer needs to be updated to take this into consideration and import or copy the existing data into the new branch, the idea is that 4.x and 3.x will be able to co-exist on the same machine without any conflicts.

I have some more features I'd like to get into 4.0 final but at this point I may end up saving them for 4.1 just so we can get 4.0 out the door. maybe 4.1 by Christmas. Once 4.0 is out the door my release schedule will improve, I really hate waiting so long between releases, and the release schedule will be much more frequent.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
info_60
FlashFXP Registered User

Very good news
Keep up the good work Oo
Old 10-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #24
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Last week wasn't as productive as I had planned. I've been dealing with flu like symptoms and I'm not sure whats going on. Perhaps side effects of the flu shot I got the week before.

Anyways I have some updates for everyone.

I completed the v4.0 key system when upgrading from v3.x you'll have an option to retrieve your key online via our website, its a simple one click process.

I updated the FTP File Search dialog which now sports a search bar that lets you search within your results. Sometimes I'll do a very generic search and the search bar allows you to narrow your results even further, best of all as soon as you clear your search it reverts back to your original search list. (You'll notice in the screen shot that the dat-5332.zip filename text is colored, this is due to my filename highlighting, i have *.zip displayed in a golden yellow color). The background color does change to provide visual feedback to the user that some results are hidden.

I added adaptive TCP/IP buffer sizing which dynamically scales the TCP/IP buffer size based on network conditions, it will try to achieve the best possible speeds. This new feature is enabled by setting the TCP/IP Buffer size to (AUTO). I've also added a couple larger values for users who like to manually select the size.

More performance optimizations.

I rewrote the ANSI parser used for displaying ANSI text in the status window. The new version improves ANSI support for background colors, The original parser failed to handle background colors in ioFTPD.

Updated the SFTP engine to the latest version.

I fixed some compatibility issues with Windows 2000 and Win98 that were introduced by some of the new features.

I've made lots of progress on the new integrated translation editor but its still not 100% functional. I've included a screen shot. The dialog is resized smaller than normal.

All menu entries now automatically generate keyboard shortcut keys. i.e. Sites, Add Current Site. Originally they needed to be done manually but I've come up with a way to automatically insert shortcuts.

I'm sure there's probably more, I always forget things.

As you can see I've completed a lot, but not as much as I've wanted.

The current beta release available on the website has some issues that I discovered and I wanted to mention them here. I will not be removing the beta from download but this is your warning that I have discovered some bugs.

* Auto discover time offset doesn't always work properly.
* In some situations the file transfer rules go screwy and the desired result is not what occurs. (i.e. overwrite instead of resume, or skip instead of overwrite.)
* Preserve file date stops working for file uploads if an upload is aborted.
Attached Thumbnails
[Coming Soon] FlashFXP Feature List & Developer Notes-ftp_search_normal-jpg   [Coming Soon] FlashFXP Feature List & Developer Notes-ftp_search_filtered-png   [Coming Soon] FlashFXP Feature List & Developer Notes-translation_editor-png  
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
KappaYeates
FlashFXP Beta Tester

and again, is there any hope to implement multi-tab feature in the new version?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

As previously stated a major rewrite is necessary to properly support a multi-connection/tabbed interface. The new version is not a rewrite.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #27
flashfxp-friend

Hey bigstar, do you think we could get a ShellExecute script token to use in Custom Commands? I'd like to be able to download a file (based on a wildcard or regex pattern), then pass it (=the local file name) on to an external program. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #28
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfxp-friend View Post
Hey bigstar, do you think we could get a ShellExecute script token to use in Custom Commands? I'd like to be able to download a file (based on a wildcard or regex pattern), then pass it (=the local file name) on to an external program. Thanks!
Can you please give me a situation where this would be used?

Adding a shell execute to a custom command is simple but since you can't use custom commands on local files it doesn't make sense and it would be pointless on the remote side because you can't use them to transfer files.

The issue I have with executing files automatically on download is that 99% of the time you may not want to do that, I can see a small 1% of the time where it might be useful, the problem with executing a program for each download is the delay incurred by the program being run, especially if FlashFXP has to wait for it to finish.

I toyed around with the idea executing a command line virus scanner for each file downloaded and due to these wait delays from the virus scanning program there were all sorts of issues, the biggest one is that the ftp connection would time out while the file was being processed.

In this type of situation if you don't wait then you end up with multiple instances of the program being run which in some cases can crash your system, I think after about 30 copies of the command line anti-virus program my system choked.

If you want to execute a program on a file that you download thats one thing, but to make it automated 100% of the time, unless its a simple program that returns instantly and even then there's no such thing as fast enough, running any external program will cause a huge performance hit in the amount of time it takes to transfer the queue.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #29
ChaosKiller
FlashFXP Beta Tester

All looks very good
Closed Thread

Tags
file, flashfxp, sftp, transfer, upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: