Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Slimmy

Default Creating My Own Darknet Using FlashFXP

I was wondering if anyone here can explain to me how this can be done please

Me and my friends are graphic artists and we want to have our our private network where we can all download and upload our files to.

The other day we went out and purchased an external hard drive with 500GB of space and we are wanting to use that as a ftp server.

We are wanting to be able to use FlashFXP to turn the drive into a server where we can all share our files on it.

I agreed to have the drive linked up to my home pc (xp home edition with sp2) and be the person to maintain it but I am very unsure when it comes to using ftp and how to set it up.

I would want it to be secure so nobody could ruin it for us.

I have been reading tutorials on the web and I think it would be my own ip address I would have to use to id the drive and for my friends to enter into flashfxp in order to connect to it...I could be wrong though lol

Can anyone spend a bit of time and explain to me in the easiet way how I can do this because I promised my friends I would have it sorted before next week.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Hi, i think you may be mixing up the type of software needed here.

On your pc (the one with the drive connected to it) you will need to run an FTP Server program.
An FTP Server program is what listens for incoming connections (your friends trying to connect to the ftp), probably the easiest for your purpose would be Serv-U. (search google)
You will need to install and configure Serv-U (or another ftp server program of your choice) to run on your pc. If you are behind a firewall, or using a router etc, you will also need to configure those to allow the incoming connections from your friends to get through.
You then need to provide you IP address (or domain/dyndns if you have one) to your friends, along with the Port numbers that you configure the FTP Server to run on.

This is the part where FlashFXP comes into the picture. FlashFXP is an FTP/FXP Client that will allow them to easily connect/upload/download from the FTP Server you are running.
Closed Thread

Tags
download, drive, flashfxp, ftp, upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: