Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
DaveTomneyUK
FlashFXP Registered User

Exclamation Data Folder Wont Save

Hi,

When I load FlashFXP then goto Options > Preferences the settings once I change them they do not save any idea why?

This is my install information.

Version:
3.5.1 (build 1200) [3.6 RC1]

Installation Type:
All User - Default

Program Folder:
C:\Program Files\FlashFXP\

Data Folder:
C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\3\
Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

When upgrading to FlashFXP v3.6 we recommend storing your data files in the user application data folder. The problem with storing the data file else where is that your user account doesn't have write access to save the changes.

In the next RC release we will be including more warnings about this behavior.

Using the administrator account you can give your user account the proper file permissions for the files located in C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\3\
Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
DaveTomneyUK
FlashFXP Registered User

I am using the Admin account but when I look in the folder - C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\ it does not show a folder called \3\ and if I make the folder myself it still wont save the data there.

Update - Its working now it seems to be saving all the data in the folder C:\AppData\FlashFXP\

Last edited by DaveTomneyUK; 10-06-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Eternity
FlashFXP Beta Tester

So does this mean that FlashFXP no longer supports custom data folders at all as of RC2? It was working fine for me in RC1 but now it will only read my settings from %AppData%\FlashFXP\3 even though I have full control permissions to my custom data folder. I've also made sure in the registry that the data folder location is correct. I'm on XP BTW.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

If you did an upgrade install in RC2 it should continue to use the custom data folder. If you did a custom install you need to make sure you re-selected the same custom data folder.

I tested a RC1 to RC2 upgrade install and everything with smooth and works as expected.

The installer itself doesn't check file permissions and will let you select any folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity View Post
So does this mean that FlashFXP no longer supports custom data folders at all as of RC2? It was working fine for me in RC1 but now it will only read my settings from %AppData%\FlashFXP\3 even though I have full control permissions to my custom data folder. I've also made sure in the registry that the data folder location is correct. I'm on XP BTW.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Eternity
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Hi Bigstar,

I uninstalled FlashFXP and reinstalled RC1, but I never get the option to pick my custom data folder. All I get to pick is where to *copy* them from, even though the Setup program tells me I can use a custom settings folder. In the end my settings always end up in the %AppData% folder. Is this what's intended? I'm thinking it is, although I can't seem to remember having seen that in the patch notes.

The reason this matters to me is I have my files on a separate drive so that I don't have to remember to backup my settings when I reformat my system drive. I'd rather be able to pick where my settings are saved.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I would focus on using RC2 instead of RC1, since the installer does have some issues, though I don't think this is one of them.

The process through the installer is as followed.
1. Select language and click next
2. Next
3. Accept license agreement, click next
4. next
5. Select Setup type > Select "Custom", click next.
6. next
7. Select your installation folder, click next
8. Select your data folder, click next
9. Select your import option, click next
10. click Install

Step 8 is the main one and you need to make sure you select a folder other than the default %AppData% folder. If you're doing this and it's still not working you may have some conflicting registry keys.

The important registry keys are located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FlashFXP\3

It's safe to delete them and re-run the installer if things are working properly.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Eternity
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
9. Select your import option, click next
Right, my gripe is that I can only *import* (ie. copy) my settings to preset location. I can't keep using my custom location, unless I'm not seeing something. Anyway, no big deal if this is the new behavior; just wanted to let you know I'd like to be able to keep using a custom settings location rather than copying them into %AppData%.

At any rate this is still a great product; thanks for your work Bigstar.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

You should be able to continue using your custom data location.

I forgot to mention that on the Setup type dialog you also need to make sure "All User" is selected for the user environment.

Below is an image of the dialog that lets you select the custom data folder location
Attached Thumbnails
Data Folder Wont Save-image1-jpg  
Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Eternity
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Ah, I see, and I feel silly now By setting it to "All User" (which by the way should read "All Users" ) I was able to set a custom settings folder. Thanks for your time Bigstar!

Although I'd like to suggest for this customization option to be available even if we choose "Each User" rather than "All Users".
Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

In order for this to work on a per user basis it would need to be a path\<username>\ type configuration and it's just better if we keep user user configuration files in the users application directory.

Especially starting with Windows Vista, storing any data files outside of the user folder is a big no-no.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Eternity
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Roger that; since there's at least one way to set a custom settings folder I'm happy anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
build, data, flashfxp, folder, save

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: