Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
seanmcleary
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Very slow local file listing...

Recently downloading FlashFXP to replace 3-DFTP and am liking the features and interface very much so far. However, I'm running into two consistent problems that may be related:

1) Application start-up is very slow: For ~30 seconds, the application icon shows in the taskbar but the interface is unavailable. After that period, the trial dialog and full interface show and operate normally.

2) Changing the local file directory causes a similar delay where the UI is unavailable. This happens whenever the local file directory is changed.

#1 and #2 could be related in that #1 could be caused by the initial directory display that happens at startup.

I have turned off virus protection and firewall software to no avail. I'm running Windows XP SP 2 on a laptop and have never seen a similar problem with other software.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

what build of flashfxp are you running?
how big are local directories, ie number of files?
is it local drive or mapped network drive?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
seanmcleary
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
what build of flashfxp are you running?
how big are local directories, ie number of files?
is it local drive or mapped network drive?
- I'm running FlashFXP v3.4.0 (build 1145) -- the current version for trial download.
- My directories vary in size from a few files to no more than 40. All exhibit the same behavior.
- I haven't tested a mapped drive. Everything has been local.

In general, these are directories that normally shouldn't show any kind of display lag, yet I'm seeing significant delays in FlashFXP.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

To confirm/disqualify if the startup delay is related to the file listing, open flashfxp, make sure both sides are set to remote view, close flashfxp so that it saves the layout, then reopen flashfxp so that upon startup it has both sides as remote views. Opening this way should not require any directly listing procedures and confirm either way the ralation between the two. (although it certain does sound like thats the case)

You may also try toggling the 'Accurate file system shell icons' option in Preferences>Display>Options to see if this has any effect on the duration of the local directory changing/listing time.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I'm not entirely sure why FlashFXP so slow for you, That is not the normal behavior. From start up to interface should be around 0-10 seconds at the most. maybe a little slower on older hardware or but still very responsive.

The same goes for changing directories, A change should be instant unless maybe there are thousands of files in the folder and then it might take a bit longer. One thing you can do to determine if the local view is also slowing down the start up is to toggle the local view to ftp view by clicking the right most button on the toolbar for that side. Exit and restart FlashFXP

Another thing we can test is maybe a 3rd party application is causing the slow down. You've ruled out anti-virus and firewall but maybe it's something more obscure. You can try unchecking "Accurate file system shell icons" located in Options > Preferences > Display > Options. When this option is unchecked the local view is a bit faster because it doesn't have to query each file for it's own icon, it uses the file extension default.
Closed Thread

Tags
directory, file, flashfxp, interface, local

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: