Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
cscscs

Default Possible to customize FFXP more?

The programs looks good and is quite snappy, but at the same time, it's quite bloated in terms of the UI. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the following:

- Take the buttons from the local/ftp views (connect, disconnect, delete, pause, etc)
- Take out the address bar just below that
- Take out the folder summary (17 folders, 95 files, etc etc, C:\documents...)

Neither of these things are necessary and add quite a bit of visual bulk. Also, I don't see a favorites menu option with a list of sites. Do I really have to click on Sites>Site Manager everytime I want to connect to a site?

I'd love to buy FFXP because of its speed and simplicity, but if it's not possible to do the above, I wouldn't feel comfortable using the program.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

those parts of gui can't be turned off.
tho you can disable some buttons in toolbar
also if you don't use fxp features, you can simplify gui by going to "View" menu, "FTP Only".
Quote:
Also, I don't see a favorites menu option with a list of sites. Do I really have to click on Sites>Site Manager everytime I want to connect to a site?
obviously you haven't bothered to read online tutorial and/or included help file...or even mouse-over all the icons on toolbar :/ see that lightning icon? that's shortcut to your sites. see that star icon? that's where your folder bookmarks are.
if you do want to open Site Manager, just press F4.

i think you are the 1st user to complain about flashfxp's gui "bloat" since this forum was created :/ what resolution are you running? 640x480? :/
Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I guess it wouldn't hurt to be able to slimline the ui a bit (not that i think its bloated in any way). Then again there is almost nothing that could be hidden. Of the things you suggested the most appropriate would probably be the ability to hide the 'info bar'.

Removing/hiding the tool bar would force you to have to go into the site manager to connect to every site, i dont think anybody would benefit from that trade off, but to each there own.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

I am *very* surprised to see this reaction really.. Have you guys ever taken a look at the competition? Just look at CuteFTP, SmartFTP and all the likes of what a really bloated GUI looks like. FlashFXP is IMHO the most clean FTP client there is, and you can forget the IMHO if you consider all the advanced features it offers..

Just my 2 cents..
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
cscscs

Thanks Mxx/DayCuts.

I'm using 1600x1200. I know it may seem anal, but I dont' like having extra buttons and doodads around when I know I won't use them. Up until now I've been using SmartFTP precisely because it lets me get rid of everything. But the load up times led me to look for a better solution, so here I am.

FTP Only helps to get rid of those icons for one pane, but it remains for the other. And the annoying thing is that switches the order of FTP/local in my panes. I like to have my local folders on the bottom pane and remote site on the top pane. Pressing FTP Only switches those and there's no way to change it (that I can see).

I see now that the Lightning icon has a list of my sites, but again, how often are you really going to need to pause a transfer? And how many of you web developers are going to click a file and then click on delete rather than just press the delete button?

I don't mind that these things are there, I'm sure somebody gets daily use out of them, but I'll never use them. And I'd prefer to have a list of bookmarks right on the top menu, ie, in between Options / Queue.

Doubtful that that'll ever happen so I'm probably going to have to go back to bloated SFTP.

Thanks for your help anyway folks.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscscs
how often are you really going to need to pause a transfer?
i use it very often.
and again it seems like you are commenting on things which you haven't actually used...it's not "pause a transfer". that button will pause your transfer queue. that's a very different meaning.

Quote:
And how many of you web developers are going to click a file and then click on delete rather than just press the delete button?
delete button?
again, you are complaining about something without actually using it.

Quote:
And I'd prefer to have a list of bookmarks right on the top menu, ie, in between Options / Queue.
F4 shortcut is actually faster than moving mouse and clicking on menu bar..especially on 1600x1200 resolution.
flashfxp was designed for speed with keyboard shortcuts in mind...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
cscscs

Alright, I'm not going to comment on the functionality of features I haven't used. Suffice it to say, I will never use these features and I have a certain way of working with things. I understand that everybody works differently and I'm certainly not demanding or expecting a product to fit my needs. I was merely asking if it was possible to do these things. If it's not, I'll move on to other programs which give me more control over customizability and don't force their UI on me.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Personally i use a vertical interface, but after switching to the horizonal interface i can see why this might feel a little bloated to you. In the vertical interface the toolbar/addressbar/infobar for each side share a horizonal space, however in the horizonal interface they do not, which means they take up twice as much space on the screen. This leaves a significantly less amount of screen space for the file/directory listing.

I could definately see myself disliking the horizonal interface for that sole reason, if i were to use it.
Closed Thread

Tags
connect, ffxp, menu, option, program

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: