Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
tanel

Default Why is FlashFXP not free for personal/educational/non-commercial use?

Well, I've been using Portable FileZilla, SmartFTP and FlashFXP for some time now.

My trial period for FlashFXP is almost over, so I have to decide whether I want to buy it or not. But from my experience, I don't see much of a reason to do so. I can carry the free Portable FileZilla anywhere with me whereever I go and when I've felt the need to FXP files or use some advanced features, SmartFTP has done the job extremely well thus far.

Maybe I haven't got to know FlashFXP deep enough, but is there something significant about this program that both free applications like Portable FileZilla and SmartFTP can not do? One of my friends registered a long time ago and is using a registered version, but from what I seen, it doesn't add any new features to the program, it just removes the expiration. Or am I missing something here?

So my questions is that why is FlashFXP not free for personal/educational/non-commercial use? SmartFTP can do everything it does and even more without asking me a single coin for it. And I don't have to upen up 10 SmartFTP windows to connect to 10 different servers at the same time, I can do it from a single SmartFTP window, because it uses the tabs method that does not clutter my taskbar/systemtray. But with FlashFXP I'm only limited to 2 connections from a single window. Not to mention FlashFXP has no support for ipv6.

Is the premium customer support and maybe fast access to the new betas/builds the only thing that separates it from SmartFTP for example? Or is there something else too? As for the support, I doubt that I really need it, as I've been FXPing files at work for over 5 years now. And SmartFTP is releasing new versions fast enough too, so I fail to see the reason to purchase FlashFXP.

And of course this post is not made to promote/advertise Portable FileZilla, SmartFTP or any other FTP/FXP client. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something important before my trial period expires.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Regards,
tanel
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanel
but from what I seen, it doesn't add any new features to the program, it just removes the expiration. Or am I missing something here?
yes you are missing something here. FlashFXP trial version is fully working, not crippled, like other ftp clients, so you can evaluate ALL of it's features and not get scammed into buying it "hoping" that some feature in full version will do what you want.

Quote:
SmartFTP can do everything it does and even more without asking me a single coin for it.
oh REALLY? seems like you haven't used it long enough to notice annoying nag screen that pops up every now and then. and if you are using free version of smartftp at work, like you said below, you are doing it illegally. it must be registred for commercial use.

Quote:
Is the premium customer support and maybe fast access to the new betas/builds the only thing that separates it from SmartFTP for example? Or is there something else too? As for the support, I doubt that I really need it, as I've been FXPing files at work for over 5 years now.
even if you have been "fxping" for 5years, doesn't mean you can solve or experienced all the possible issues when it comes to ftp..if you do get into a situation beyond your skills, you'll be helped here; and or sent empty-handed at smartftp.
FlashFXP license is for the lifetime of this product. other clients give you license for a single version and they can artibrarly make new x.0 release just to charge their customers again..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
tanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
yes you are missing something here. FlashFXP trial version is fully working, not crippled, like other ftp clients, so you can evaluate ALL of it's features and not get scammed into buying it "hoping" that some feature in full version will do what you want.
Yes, that is true, but it doesn't apply for SmartFTP, which is already free for personal use.

Quote:
oh REALLY? seems like you haven't used it long enough to notice annoying nag screen that pops up every now and then. and if you are using free version of smartftp at work, like you said below, you are doing it illegally. it must be registred for commercial use.
Yep, I'm familiar with the nag screen. For a home user the nag screen is a small price for a free program and it only apprears on bussiness hours of the day. As for work, there are licencesed copies of SmartFTP of course, otherwise everyone would've been busted a long time ago.

Quote:
even if you have been "fxping" for 5years, doesn't mean you can solve or experienced all the possible issues when it comes to ftp..if you do get into a situation beyond your skills, you'll be helped here; and or sent empty-handed at smartftp.
FlashFXP license is for the lifetime of this product. other clients give you license for a single version and they can artibrarly make new x.0 release just to charge their customers again..
Also true, however of all those years, I don't recall any major FTP related (not FTP-client related) problems I wouldn't have been able to solve myself or with a little googling, perhaps with some collegue's help in the worst case. Surely the premium support would be nice, though.

But what I saw at the other thread, I think I'm never going to buy FlashFXP. I'll rather keep using the free SmartFTP at home and at least the people in their forums treat users with respect even in extreme cases as they know how frustrating some problems can be.

What remains a mystery to me though, is why are you charging money for personal use. Smartftp is a much better client, it's pros sure outweigh the few cons. Plus an FTP client is such a simple program, anyone with some skills can easily code their own anyway, if the need be.

Oh well, but that's not my business. I wish you good luck with further development and testing.

Regards,
tanel
Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Because the amount of developement time and personally provided quick support, for both the program and website, could not be offered if it was free.

In general, Software developement is a profession not just a hobby. Not all developers have the time or financial stability to offer such a service and product for free. I dont know if this is the case or not, but ponder this question.. would you go to work if your boss told you he wasn't going to pay you? I doubt it.

I am a bit of a software developer myself, and the stuff i write is infact free (usually open source stuff), but this means that almost no support can be provided and that projects progress slowly when and if i have the time to work on them. Due simply to the fact that i have to work a full time job elsewhere.

I hope you can see my point, regardless, it seems that you have used the trial period as it was intended, and decided that you prefer smartftp. So i dont really see why this matters to you at all.

At the end of the day, the reason does not matter, just as the decision on what ftp client to use is entirely yours, the decision to charge belongs entirey to the developers
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanel
Plus an FTP client is such a simple program, anyone with some skills can easily code their own anyway, if the need be.
I love when people use words like 'simple' regarding software; specially when they can't show us any 'simple' program that they have made .
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, free, fxp, portable, smartftp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: