Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
theg0at

Arrow Very Strange...

* FlashFXP v[3].[x], build [1xxx], [x]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [x] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [ ] Yes & Model [ ], [x] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [ ] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [x] No
* Running Antivirus [ ] Yes, Name [ ] or [x] No
* Network [ ] xDSL, [x] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other

This should be easy I suppose for you guys to figure out.

I run a website (useless site but anyway, I have fun with it). I just upgraded my Cox HSI to the "Premium" (9 Mbit down, 1 Mbit up).

If I directly download a file from the site, I get maxxed-out as they say -- 1.0 - 1.1 MB/s.

If I go into my FlashFXP and download the same exact file from the same exact folder for my website, (it's a 24 MB video I made with my webcam but this is just an example anyway), I get fluctuating speeds of high 400 KB/s up to 780 KB/s and average speed throughout the transfer is around 650 KB/s.

This is frustrating. And it doesn't make sense. Back before I upgraded, I got maxxed-out all the time (not that I used that much as I usually am uploading).

I should also mention uploading, I'm fine - My upgraded upload speed with Cox is now 1 Mb/s and I get a steady 980 KB/s - 1.1 MB/s.

Here's something even stranger:

Same file from my same ftp for my same website and -everything- using SmartFTP trial version and I download at FULL SPEED, baby!

So obviously something is up with FlashFXP. I've messed around with many settings and can't find an answer. I'm a computer nerd so I knew a lot of this 'stuff' anyway. I even went as far as trying to tweak my registry using www.speedguide.net as a source for things to try but nothing helps. Only other FTP programs do the trick.

Any ideas? This is so puzzling.

I have Cox coming out to my home on Monday - 2 days from now - to make sure my cable lines in my home are okay and all but I'm sure they are - afterall, other FTP programs work great and so does downloading from the web.

I did try the latest FlashFXP build and Beta builds, too.

So what's the deal? I'm at a loss....

Thanks in advance guys. I would really appreciate it if you could fix it.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

Is file compression being used with this FTP connection? It could be that the actual KB/sec transfer rate is being slowed by the compressing/uncompressing of the file. You can set the compression settings within the Site Manager for the site. If compression is the issue turning off compression may end up speding up the KB/sec transferred but make the transfer take longer anyway as more would need to be transferred.

Posting a session log of these slow transfers would be helpful.
Closed Thread

Tags
download, flashfxp, ftp, upload, [x]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: