Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Question Pre-Sales Questions -

Friends,

I've been searching for THE BEST FTP application out there and have narrowed my search to 3 candidates... FlashFXP being at the top of the list so far. I love the interface and I love the features.

Here are a few questions I've got after playing around with the application for a few days:

• I don't know if this is a bug or not, but when I check "Synchronize Browsers" it doesn't remain selected the next time I open the application. I use this feature 99.99% of the time and would hate to have to select it every session. Any plans to fix this soon?

• I tried to drag a file from FlashFXP onto an icon on my taskbar (for editing) and it wouldn't let me! Using other FTP apps I can drag files and drop them on either Dreamweaver, notepad, or anything else and it will open in that program. All I get with FlashFXP is a circle with a line through it. (BTW, I know I can set the default program, but I usually like to use multiple programs for different tasks)

• License: Can I use my 'single license key' on my desktop computer and my laptop?

• I know it is expected to be added later, but I'm surprised there isn't currently multiple thread support. Do any of y'all think this even make a difference, especially when downloading hundreds of tiny files?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty-stuff
• I don't know if this is a bug or not, but when I check "Synchronize Browsers" it doesn't remain selected the next time I open the application. I use this feature 99.99% of the time and would hate to have to select it every session. Any plans to fix this soon?
bigstar should be able to answer that question, but he's away till end of the week.
Quote:
• I tried to drag a file from FlashFXP onto an icon on my taskbar (for editing) and it wouldn't let me! Using other FTP apps I can drag files and drop them on either Dreamweaver, notepad, or anything else and it will open in that program. All I get with FlashFXP is a circle with a line through it. (BTW, I know I can set the default program, but I usually like to use multiple programs for different tasks)
do you use more than 2 apps when working on any given file type?

Quote:
• License: Can I use my 'single license key' on my desktop computer and my laptop?
FLASHFXP LICENSE AGREEMENT says
Quote:
One registered copy of SOFTWARE may either be used by a single person who uses the SOFTWARE personally on one or more computers, or installed on a single workstation used non-simultaneously by multiple people, but not both.
Quote:
• I know it is expected to be added later, but I'm surprised there isn't currently multiple thread support. Do any of y'all think this even make a difference, especially when downloading hundreds of tiny files?
multithreaded support isn't exactly like download managers that cut up a file into smaller chunks. but rather ability to connect to multiple sites at once in a single flashfxp instance. not saying flashfxp won't 'cut up' files...that decision will be made upon implementation.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

MxxCon,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

RE: do you use more than 2 apps when working on any given file type?
Yes, I do. Sometimes I use Dreamweaver to edit a file, sometimes I use Arachnophilia, sometimes I use Notepad, and sometimes I like to drop the file on IE. I'm also curious what it is about the program that prohibits this functionality when other FTP apps seem to support it without any problem.

RE: multithread support:
I could totally be wrong, but the multithread / multi connections I was referring to is when you are down/uploading a lot of files at once to/from local and a single remote host. The programs where I've seen it used it looks like it makes downloading lots of tiny files go faster since the connections to each file are going in parallel and not in series. I may just not know what I'm talking about.

Anyhoo... the biggest things still left on my list are
#1: Keeping browsers locked all the time
#2: Ability to drag / drop files onto icons

Thanks again for your comments!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Just thought I'd follow up on this. Any news / updates?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

We could save the syncronized browsing setting on exit, but not everyone may want that. It would probably have to be an option.

The currently drag/drop implementation doesn't allow dropping to external tragets. In order for us to allow this, we will need to switch to an OLE drag/drop that's compatible. At this time I'm not sure if this will be changed anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

bigstar, thanks so much for the reply. I just realized that today is my last day on the trial. I guess I just need to decide how important these items are to me:

1) Multi-thread support (to speed up up/downloading hundreds of small files on a fast connection)
2) Ability to drag / drop files to different applications for viewing / editing
3) "Synchronize Browsers" Either always save settings on exit, or an option in the preferences menu.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Hey All,

Just wanted to follow up to see if there was a way to save the syncronized browsing setting so on exit the system remembers my last setting?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Okay, have I been patient enough? It's been about 7 months and I'd love to get an update.

I can live with out the multi-thread and while drag / drop would be nice, I can work around that.

This being said, I really think synchronize browsing should be something that can be toggled always on or always off. I really get frustrated having to go into the menu to turn this on with every single session of FlashFXP.

Looking forward to a reply.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
Linkster
Administrator

sync browsing is a per site option in the latest beta.
Closed Thread

Tags
???, application, flashfxp, ftp, love

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: