Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
patrickh
FlashFXP Registered User

Default file list window is very slow

* FlashFXP v3.20.1080
* OS WinXP Pro
* Running behind Router, not sure about the model offhand
* Running WinXP firewall
* Running AVG Free Antivirus
* Network CABLE

For some reason, the the file list windows (both local folders and ftp folders) are very choppy for me in FlashFXP. If the list of files extends anywhere below the window view to enable the scrollbar on the right, it is obnoxiously delayed and choppy to scroll.

I have been using FlashFXP for many years on this machine and don't think this has always been a problem. I think it has only started happening in the last year or so - just never got around to asking about it. It is still usable, just frustrating.

I am running multiple monitors, which can be problematic with some software. Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

are you using any skins/themes like windowblinds or stylexp
have you tried to temporary disable one monitor to make sure it's indeed not a problem.
are you using any other overlay type applications like one that allow to roll-up windows or something else unusual
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
patrickh
FlashFXP Registered User

Not running any thirdparty skin/overlay programs, just using the default windowsxp theme. Just tried disabling secondary monitors and running FlashFXP on primary and the problem still persisted. Pretty sure nothing else I am running should be interfering with the video/overlay.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
phyber
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

This is probably down to your anti virus.
You can test this by temporarily disabling it, loading FlashFXP and scrolling through the file list.

A basic kind of explanation for this behaviour would be as follows:
You scroll through your files in FlashFXP, it has to display the icons for those files.
Those icons are usually stored in an EXE or DLL file, which much be accessed in order to display the icon.
Any decent AV program scans on-access, so for each icon that gets displayed, it's possible that your AV had to scan the file that was being displayed or at least one other file to display the files icon.
Of course, this scanning will slow down your file listing.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Do you have "smooth scroll" checked in Preferences / Display / Options?

When checked FlashFXP will slow the scrolling down alittle to provide a smooth scroll.

With it unchecked the list will scroll at full speed however you may notice a flicker during the scroll. Especially when using the scroll wheel on a mouse.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

Wow, i disabled the smooth scroll option and it's really faster now. Should have tried that one before .
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, folders, ftp, list, running

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: