Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
greta

Default Cannot connect to site. Desperately need help!

I attempted to create a new site and do not think I did it correctly because I cannot connect. Will some of you please go through the steps below that I did and critique what I did so we can figure out what I did wrong?

1) For "Site Name" I put chezgretaann.com, with lower case c, which is the name of my website.

2) For IP Address, I put 207.7.21.46, which on my website it says is my IP address.

3) For user name and password I put the same as what I use to access my File Manager on my website.

4) Remote Path. I left this blank. I asked questions about this on this forum some days ago but could not understand the answers, but got the idea that it was not necessary. I have no idea what it is asking for!!

5) Local Path. I clicked the yellow folder to browse for it. Flash FXP is listed and is highlighted. Does that mean that is what I am supposed to select? A few of the other things listed are My Documents, My Computer, Documents & Settings, Common Files, Microsoft Works, etc. I have absolutely NO idea what to select here! So I did not select anything. I thought it would be the URL of my website but that itsn't listed!

6) I clicked "Apply."

But I evidently left something off that I should have filled in because it will not connect.

I am sorry this is so long but I desperately need someone to walk me through this step-by-step in very simple language. I really would appreciate it.

Greta
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
But I evidently left something off that I should have filled in because it will not connect.
why? what's the error message?
Quote:
1) For "Site Name" I put chezgretaann.com, with lower case c, which is the name of my website.
in "site name" you can put whever you want. it's a label for that entry/record. your web address is fine. it doesn't really matter.

local path
you select what folder on your harddrive flashfxp will open once it connect to your site.
for example if you keep files for your website in some specific folder, you can select it here.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
greta

MxxCon, you are the one who helped me before and I thought I understood, but evidently I didn't. I am sorry.

I do not get any error message other than it says over and over again that connection failed and connection timed out. Also when I exit from FlashFXP and then go back to it, I get a Norton Internet Security Popup which says, "Program Control Low Risk flashfxp.exe is attempting to access the internet. What do you want to do?" I always click "Permit Always." But I am already on the internet when I do this.

Regarding the Local Path: I have never kept any files for my website anywhere. I've never downloaded of them or saved any of my website. It's all just on my website. I know -- that's bad!

If someone would just tell me what would be the best folder to use for this? Would it be My Documents, Compaq_Owner's Documents, My Computer Documents, or what?

Thanks,

Greta
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
greta

I just now went to my old thread about this and this is what someone said to me about Remote Path and Local Path: "You don't HAVE to fill these out. Just leave them blank if you don't know what you want there."

So if those two aren't the problem, I can't imagine what it could be...

Greta
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

you might want to make a subfolder in My Documents and keep whatever is related to your website there..
regarding error messages, are you sure you are connecting to the right ip address?
maybe you should contact tech support for your website and ask them for that info.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
greta

I MIGHT have made a LITTLE progress. I changed the IP address from 207.7.21.46 to chezgretaann.com and it said "Connected to Chezgretaann.com." Then in lower right corner it started going through these things like the following:

[R] 257 "/" is current directory
[R]TYPE A
[R] 200 Type set to A
etc., etc., etc.

Then it finally said [R] 226 Transfer Complete
[R]List Complete. 434 bytes in 2.56 seconds (0.2 KB/s)
[R]421 No transfer Timeout (300 seconds) Closing Control Connection
[R] Connection lost. chezgretaann.com connection lost.

Don't know what happened. Was I supposed to have been doing something while this was going on?

I got the IP address, the numbers with the dots, from my website. After I login, I can click on a link which gives all my info about IP address, domain name, and all that sort of thing. I will go ahead and e-mail them though and ask them if that is correct.

Any ideas about what could have happened with the connection?

Greta
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
greta

I think I MIGHT be beginning to get it. The place where all the "Rs" are that keeps changing is the status window. And since I didn't do anything while it was running, it timed out. Right?

So now I need to know where the transfer button is. Is it the one where if you hover the mouse over it, it says "Transfer Queue"?

Greta
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

yes, you connected just fine. but eventually server disconnected you becuase you weren't doing anything, ie transfering files.
how to do it? read tutorial, it explains that.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
greta

I have the tutorial printed out and right in front of me. Maybe I'm too old to be trying to learn this stuff!

There is no button that says "Transfer," only the one that says "Transfer Queue."

The selection of files and folders in Remote View (one of which I am supposed to select, I believe) are bin, logs, pass, web, and profile. I suppose "web" is the one I'm supposed to select.

But the main question right now is: Where is the transfer button? It says to click the Transfer button on the right toolbar instead of the one at the left... Is the Transfer Queue button the correct one for this?

Greta
Old 11-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

"transfer queue" is "transfer".
it's called like that becuase 1st, you queue up files you want to transfer and then..you transfer that queue
btw, you might want to go to "View" menu and then select "FTP Only". it'll simply flashfxp's layout a bit.
on the left side you'll have your local file listing and on the right side you'll have remote file listing.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
greta

I did the FTP only thing.

Then I think I might have just made a horrible mess. I didn't know what to click on on the right side of the page to transfer, so I clicked on web. Then I clicked on Transfer Queue and it didn't do anything, so I clicked on Transfer Selected. This all was right after I posted the last time and had not read your post above, MxxCon.

So then it started transferring and looks like it transferred everything that even remotely had anything to do with my website! This was around noon, I think, and it just now stopped transferring. I thought it would list some files and I could choose the one(s) I wanted to edit.

Anyway, it just now stopped. It says:
Transferred 4, 353 files
Totaling 33.21 MB in 7 hours 28 minutes 38 seconds (2.2 KB/s)

Then I got a popup over the page from Symantec and had to deal with that. And when I got through with that, the FlashFXP thing said:
[R]421 No Transfer Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.
[R]Connection lost: chezgretaann.com

So after waiting for over seven hours and wondering if I was doing the right thing, I don't know whether the files transferred or not!

First question: Was clicking on web and transferring the entire website the correct thing to do?
2nd Question: Does it sound like the files were not transferred?

Greta (Just about to the end of my rope and in tears)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
greta

Okay, looks like they all did transfer. But was that REALLY necessary? I thought I would just be transferring a page at a time as I needed to edit it.

Too tired tonight to do anything else. Will check back tomorrow night.

Thanks for your help,

Greta
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

well there is no way for us to know what you want to do, how you want to do it or how your website is setup and it is somewhat beyond the scope of this forum.

in general, if you want to edit just 1 plain page, you'll download that page and any images or other media directly related to it. do your modifications and then reupload updated file.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
greta

MxxCon, I was just very, very anxious about having downloaded thousands of files over 7+ hours, concerned that it would overload my computer.

It would have been nice to have known how to only select the couple of files I needed to edit and download those. As I mentioned above, I think a couple of times, the only choices I could find to download were bin, logs, pass, web, and profile. I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. I did not intend to ask any questions outside the scope of this forum.

Thank you for your help,

Greta
Closed Thread

Tags
connect, fxp, put, site, website

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: