Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Software RAS Graph & Status, FlashSFV, iTraffic Monitor, etc

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
#1 Stunna

Lightbulb REQ: bigstar, why not make your Freeware Open Source?

bigstar,

have you thought of making your freeware apps Open Source? I've read a few threads where you've said that you don't have time. If you release the source developers can improve your code for you.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The reason I haven't released the source is because I use commercial 3rd party components in nearly every freeware app. What's the point of releasing source that no one can compile them?
Old 01-02-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
#1 Stunna

If someone was serious about programming they could purchase those 3rd party components. Do you care if they have to spend money to compile your apps? Open source just gives develepors the oppurtunity to improve an app, how they get to that point is on them.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

well since you asked.. no I don't.. If I'm going to d/l source code I expect to be able to compile it without having to buy some components. But hey that's just me.

I see no real point in open source as a way of improving my programs, almost all of my freeware can be rewrote in a mater of days. It's just a matter of time. The only thing you would gain is a good laugh. Alot of it was created when I was learning delphi and was just thrown together. Oh and as far as comments go, there aren't any.

I've re-designed the FlashSFV GUI more times then I can count.. The source code behind it all has become a real nightmare.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:59 AM   #5
#1 Stunna

Post Very Funny

thought it would be a good idea. but if your code is that mangled and complicated the only that it would be good for is a laugh. but i still think you should release it. just my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
bigstar, freeware, open, source, time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: