Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Programming Need help with C/C++/Delphi? Ask here and make us all laugh.

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Robert777
Banned

Arrow Not sure my college is good for Programming

I need some advice maybe from people who have gotten their degrees and know stuff about computer programming degrees and what employers look for. I want to talk to some different companies about getting a computer programming degree at this college and if its good or not. If you know some large companies that I could search for I'd appreciate it.

The reason I'm having trouble is I read this article on my college and it being sued for misleading its students. Apparently people would get their associates there and try to transfer to another college and none of their credits would transfer over. Apparently they were told they would have no problem transfering. I was planning on getting my bachelor's in Computer Information Science. Very computer programming heavy, I'm told. I just started there so I haven't spent a lot of money. I'm concerned because if their associates degrees are worthless when transfering to other colleges, then how good are their bachelors and stuff for getting good jobs? The college is Florida Metropolitan University or FMU.
Not sure if companies would take the time to tell me if a degree at this college would be worth hiring or not. I believe its ACICS accredited. The level of school there is very low. The hardest math on their placement test was dividing fractions no algebra. I think any middle schooler could probably have passed their test. Also the classes, even though I'm only in the first 2, are suspiciously easy.

Anyways any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm young and a little unknowledgable about this stuff and don't really know anyone to ask. I feel like if I ask the school they won't tell me the truth.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
FTPServerTools
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Generally having a degree in computer sciences (I have 2 of those) will help getting a job. But experience can count just as strong. It can depend on the employer tho. If the university is not good you'd better find one that is good.
Any decent computer science study should at least be four years long. I suggest you find graduation work from ex students, which they should have there. And look into it. Also you should check on the internet how that FMU is doing.
A bachelors degree tho isnt really heavy, I read that most companies are not all that interested in bachelors. They are interested in masters. So my suggestion is to go for a masters degree.
Closed Thread

Tags
college, companies, computer, good, programming

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: