PDA

View Full Version : [Argument] Zipscript standard & What is a zipscript

mr_F_2
12-05-2004, 03:58 PM
[Mod: in reply to http://www.ioftpd.com/go?4337]

i don't see the point in creating a 'standard' for zipscripts. that's just like building the ultimate zipscript, in which case we'd only need 1 of them, instead of making many bad ones bump up to the standard.

i say we're better off starting an open source zipscript that multiple developers can work on instead.

Mouton
12-05-2004, 06:26 PM
You're free to go ahead and start a open-source zs and try to get developers to work on it etc.
This is not related.
If you're not interrested / don't have anything constructive to add to the actual topic, please restrain from posting.

mr_F_2
12-05-2004, 07:35 PM
what I said was constructive and I think puts forth a valid argument:

what's the point of making a standard of zipscripts? if all need to comply to a standard then their is no point in having more than one.

Do you not agree?

neoxed
12-05-2004, 07:44 PM
mr_F: Software standards do not necessarily mean that any product that abides by them will be the same. It is simply a set of guidelines and rules to ensure compatibility and that the required features are present (zip/sfv support, post delete, rescan etc.). Consider it as an RFC for 'zipscripts'.

Personally, I think it sounds like a good idea. However, I will reserve my judgment until Mouton's draft/proposal is finished.

mr_F_2
12-05-2004, 07:48 PM
IMO there is already a standard : CRC32.
this is all that a zipscript needs to include. after that everything else is bells and whistles

neoxed
12-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by mr_F
this is all that a zipscript needs to include. after that everything else is bells and whistles Do you disagree just for the sake of arguing? :p

CRC32 is a basic checksum algorithm; perhaps you are referring to “Simple File Verification” (SFV), which utilizes CRC32.

An add-on, which only verifies a file’s integrity, based on the CRC32 value from a SFV file, would be called an “SFV-Checker” in my opinion. A “zipscript” is an entirely different concept with an entirely different feature set (zip/diz files, completion tags, upload statistics and so on). The actual classification of what defines a “zipscript” is quite opinionative, which is why this standard may be a great idea - to outline the necessities and requirements in “zipscripts”.

Unless you can persuade thousands of people to ditch the zip/diz combination, in favor of rar/sfv, you are out of luck. There are many obvious reasons why this switch would be a great idea, but customary and habitual routines are difficult to change. Even then, zip/diz support would still be required for backwards compatibility - as there will always be people who refuse to adopt change.

Any who, this is my last irrelevant reply.

mr_F_2
12-06-2004, 01:44 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but even *.zip checking is crc32.
whatever, i put my 6 cents in and obviously it's moderators vs. "the guy who is obviously stupid because he doesn't agree" so i'll stop replying to this thread

Mouton
12-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by mr_F
this is all that a zipscript needs to include. after that everything else is bells and whistles
So the only script you use on ioFTPD is a script that checks the CRC of received files, and tells you if they are good or bad ? It doesn't rename them if they're bad ..? Or tell you if you received all files index in the .sfv/.diz file ?
*Even* if you really are using a crc-checker, like Neo said, it's not what most users use or would call a Zipscript.
A ZipScript, for most users, keep tracks of who sent the files, how long it took to send them, makes tag directories to indicate the level of completion of a sfv file, etc.
If you don't use all that, then good for you, that's way less trouble. But most people do, and for them (and me), having a standard that would state exactly what a complete Zipscript should do, would be something good.
If, after the standard is written down, a team of programmers want to implement it and create 'the ultimate zs' like you say, then fine.
I personally won't program a single line of code.
I tried to start a project once, to create a distributed user system; something many people still want. Nobody volunterred.
I would guess trying to start a project to create a zipscript, something that everybody already has, won't be much more sucessful.

Ren
12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
how about just creating a ultra fast and ultra stable zipscript instead of filling it with bloatwhere useless zs functions like imdb lookup's etc

esmandil
12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Ren, do you volunteer? ;)

gurken
12-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me and I'm willing to contribute to it.

BTW Mouton, if you still want to do that shared db project, count me in. I think I've learned enough stuff to be a useful contributor now.

SnypeTEST
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Ren
how about just creating a ultra fast and ultra stable zipscript instead of filling it with bloatwhere useless zs functions like imdb lookup's etc

good idea. although those things are optional in most zipscripts ;)