PDA

View Full Version : ioFTPD service: Mounting network drives

noob
11-25-2003, 07:01 AM
hi,

i've got a strange problem with a network drive mounted in ioftpd...

my vfs looks like this:
"\\server\d$\space" /ARCHiVE

it works well for some minutes, but then it fails:

CWD ARCHiVE
550 ARCHiVE: No such file or directory.

now i have to do "site exec dir \\server\d$", and it works again for about 5mins :/

using ioftpd 5.2.2r

darkone
11-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Never seen such problem... it sounds like link is lost (router?), and password renegotation is required. Are you running daemon as service?

As temporary fix, you could schedule a bat from ioFTPD, to run every 1minute & execute some command on that directory.

noob
11-25-2003, 07:26 AM
hi,

thanks for the reply!

no, there is no router, and yes, it runs as a services (as a domain user which has access).

i will try the batch solution... :)

rabinovd
11-25-2003, 10:40 AM
noob, you cannot have "\\server\d$\space" /ARCHiVE

your d drive is not shared in this case. You are probably using WinXP or Win2k3. You have to make a new share for your d drive.
Make sure you are not using simple file sharing.

To disable simple file sharing, go to windows explorer. Go to tools-->view tab-->uncheck simple file sharing at the very bottom, click OK.

Then right click your D drive, click "sharing and security". You will see D$ as shared by default, which does not mean that it's shared. YOu have to click on New Share button at the bottom, and there you can create your share.

Good luck

I hope that helps

Mouton
11-25-2003, 11:19 AM
d$ is a valid Windows share.
the $ makes it hidden, but still usable like any other standard share.
all drives are shared as hidden by default.

rabinovd
11-25-2003, 01:38 PM
so if he has $ which means it's hidden, therefore you cannot access the drive if it's hidden

Mouton
11-25-2003, 04:11 PM
the $ makes it hidden from a share listing, not unusable.
You can access all x$ shares if you are admin of that PC.
They are admin shares and they are there by default so admins can remotely access all drives.
Dunno where u heard/red that you can't access a something$ share, but it's not true.

sCry
11-25-2003, 09:11 PM
I had the similiar problem, as it wasn't dare to post before.

Problem below:
The remote directory is mapped as O:\ in to local machine, and it can be read when computer is up.

in ioFTPD, VFS file sets like that :
"O:\" /archive

ioftpd server is launched as service with administrator user name which can access the remote directory.

but the "/archive" couldn't be load in ioftpd.

But, when io does not be launched as service, but after user log in, the "/archive" is load corroctly.

Can anyone give me a solution ?

Linkster
11-26-2003, 12:54 AM
this has been a historic problem with windows ftpds running as a service...it has to do with how windows connects to shares running as a system service.

You have two options to try:

1. (more secure) on the computer that is hosting the share, add the ioftpd COMPUTER account to the share and file access privileges. this will give system services (ioftpd) access to those sharepoints.

2. create a user account that has rights on both computers, and run the service as that user. the user also has to be a local admin on the ioftpd box. (downside) then give that user account access to the shared dir.

Let me know if this helps/works for you.

sCry
11-26-2003, 06:16 AM
thank you, i'll try NO.1 , as it is more reasonable