PDA

View Full Version : FlashSFV 2.4c

bigstar
02-03-2004, 02:03 PM
This release is quite old, it was a work in progress that never made much progress. Someone asked if there was a newer release so I decided to post this release. It may be better or worse then the build you're using now.

It looks like I added XP theme support and the GUI is slightly different, apart from that I don't know what other changes were made.

Partha
02-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you thank you bigstar :) . I just love FlashSFV :)

visitor
02-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Same creation date as 2.3 we was using.

Very handy program.

thaNX

Barough
02-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Thnx alot :)

Partha
02-08-2004, 03:59 AM
I dunno if and when a new version of FlashSFV will be released. But any chance of including .sfv or .md5 recursive creation/checking for folder trees ??

Partha

p00chie
02-08-2004, 06:40 AM
i like this new version a lot. :)

i've been using 2.0f, i think, for a while now. i like the shell integration in this version.

olg
02-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Why not include FlashSFV right into FlashFXP?
For example, Ultrafxp (rip of flashfxp) have sfv check directly into program.

MxxCon
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by olg
Why not include FlashSFV right into FlashFXP?
For example, Ultrafxp (rip of flashfxp) have sfv check directly into program. becuase FlashFXP is an ftp client, and FlashSFV checks sfv/md5 files.
ftp client is not supposed to check sfv files. it supposed to only transfer files:rolleyes:

p00chie
02-12-2004, 07:41 PM
which, if you don't mind me saying, is quite an idiotic statement to make in today's world.

you can extend the logic of that and say that ftp servers are only supposed to serve files and shouldn't check file integrity on upload and people are wasting their time coding such features into their programs or making addons.

in other words, it doesn't really wash, saying "it's an ftp client, it's not supposed to do that."

zonealarm is a firewall, yet it can also block popups. is that a stupid idea because it's not supposed to do that?

not really a common sense argument that "it's an ftp client", when you think about it, is it? having a feature in flashfxp that automatically verifies sfv/md5 as you download them isn't really a feature that's totally separate from the ftp operations. why not include it? if you can't do it or simply don't want to it, say so.

so is there a real reason, or are you sticking to the crap one?

MxxCon
02-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by p00chie
you can extend the logic of that and say that ftp servers are only supposed to serve files and shouldn't check file integrity on upload and people are wasting their time coding such features into their programs or making addons.i have no problem with addons since they are optional.
zonealarm is a firewall, yet it can also block popups. is that a stupid idea because it's not supposed to do that?i think whole ZA firewall is a complete crud, and their popupblocker is nothing more than a bloatware which is designed to do nothing but sell more software. quality browsers like firefox or opera have buildint popupblockers, and for IE everybody and their grandma uses google toolbar which has the best popup blocer i ever used.

not really a common sense argument that "it's an ftp client", when you think about it, is it? having a feature in flashfxp that automatically verifies sfv/md5 as you download them isn't really a feature that's totally separate from the ftp operations. why not include it?flashfxp already has capability to call external sfv checking for downloaded files, no need to add bloat to flashfxp.

Partha
02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MxxCon

flashfxp already has capability to call external sfv checking for downloaded files, no need to add bloat to flashfxp.

How do I use that feature ? It is hidden in which menu ? Anyway to implement them for upload also ?

Also as a standalone product , any chance of implementing the recursive/creation checking of .md5/.sfv feature in FlashSFV ? That's all I need now from FlashSFV :).

DayCuts
02-13-2004, 12:34 AM
The name 'FlashFXP' i think is enough to know built in sfv functions should not be implemented. For one, as the name suggests, this program i aimed largely at site-to-site transfers (file integrity can not be checked in this case from your side, it has to be server side). As for downloading, you must understand that automatic integrity checking within a client software would effectively pause the session while the file is checked, in the case of larger files this would create a big problem for it's users.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if there is an sfv/md5 file accompanying the files. All you need do is double click the sfv after the file/s are complete (assuming you have a decent sfv checker installed on your system).

If you really want files to checked in realtime as the download finishes, and its that big a deal. Simply set up your own FTPd with a single account for you and use FlashFXP to FXP between the site and your own FTPd.

MxxCon
02-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Partha
How do I use that feature ? It is hidden in which menu ? Anyway to implement them for upload also ?it's impossible to implement such checking for upload since you don't have access to destination file system.

http://www.flashfxp.com/version21.php
explained how to do it in "Added program execution after transfer complete." section

Also as a standalone product , any chance of implementing the recursive/creation checking of .md5/.sfv feature in FlashSFV ? That's all I need now from FlashSFV :). bigstar wanted to implement such feature but since sourcecode is lost...

bigstar
02-13-2004, 07:49 PM
The good news is i found the source code after moving. I just don't have any time to continue development right now. maybe in a few months.

p00chie
02-14-2004, 06:33 AM
i think whole ZA firewall is a complete crud, and their popupblocker is nothing more than a bloatware which is designed to do nothing but sell more software. quality browsers like firefox or opera have buildint popupblockers, and for IE everybody and their grandma uses google toolbar which has the best popup blocer i ever used.

good stuff. ;) i do indeed use opera and don't see the point of the popup blocker in ZA... however, i'd have to disagree on one point. the firewall itself is probably the best software firewall available, well worth the money and then some. having said that, ZA's privacy features don't detract from the security of it as a firewall. and it's available without the extras in ZA Plus.

thanks for the link to how to execute program after transfer... that'll make things a lot easier for me now. and i can shut up about sfv checking. :)

daycuts:

As for downloading, you must understand that automatic integrity checking within a client software would effectively pause the session while the file is checked, in the case of larger files this would create a big problem for it's users.

it doesn't slow down ioftpd, bpftpd or serv-u as it's a separate local operation. the integrity check happens when one transfer stops and the other one starts. it doesn't need to interrupt ftp operations to verify files.

If you really want files to checked in realtime as the download finishes, and its that big a deal. Simply set up your own FTPd with a single account for you and use FlashFXP to FXP between the site and your own FTPd.

and in an ideal world where every single server allows remote transfer in and out, that would be a great solution. but they don't. so as soon as you get a server where remote transfers out are blocked, you're screwed.

Partha
02-15-2004, 12:20 AM
I am unable to get the desired results while trying to launch FlashSFV to verify the downloaded files against a given .sfv.

Please advice me how to "use the %f macro to pass the filename " . I am having problems with how to pass it . Perhaps because of this problem only , when I use "show=0" to hide FlashSFV , FlashSFV still popups before the FlashFXP window.

DayCuts
02-15-2004, 01:16 AM
and in an ideal world where every single server allows remote transfer in and out, that would be a great solution. but they don't. so as soon as you get a server where remote transfers out are blocked, you're screwed.
I not quite sure on the workings of the FTP/FXP protocols and the method used to stop fxp. But does it not check that the logged in user IP/host matched that which is in the PORT command used to make the connection? Being a local ftpd the IP would match?

MxxCon
02-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Partha
Please advice me how to "use the %f macro to pass the filename " . I am having problems with how to pass it . Perhaps because of this problem only , when I use "show=0" to hide FlashSFV , FlashSFV still popups before the FlashFXP window.
for one, why would you want to start FlashSFV hidden? how will you know the results of scan? :rolleyes:
i don't think you'll be able to use FlashSFV w/ this feature since it requires to have name of .sfv passed to it. so if you have a dir of files+sfv, i'm sure you have sfv transfered 1st, flashsfv will run and see no files in that dir and on later transfers it'll complain that given file isn't sfv

cSFVse or other SFV checker that can scan whole dir for sfv file will work better in this case

p00chie
02-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by DayCuts
I not quite sure on the workings of the FTP/FXP protocols and the method used to stop fxp. But does it not check that the logged in user IP/host matched that which is in the PORT command used to make the connection? Being a local ftpd the IP would match?

no, my ftp server is in the DMZ and has a different IP and OS from this computer.

TimeX
02-16-2004, 07:21 PM
i want to know adding what new features?

only the style changes?

DayCuts
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
no, my ftp server is in the DMZ and has a different IP and OS from this computer.
If it is on a different system then it is not a local ftpd.

p00chie
02-18-2004, 05:40 PM
of course it's a local ftpd. i can get up and walk to it now and it's on the same network. that's pretty local, wouldn't you say?

it has a different IP and operating system (Debian). it functions as a server (the only machine that does) and it's not the computer that FlashFXP or FlashSFV is installed on. this machine is firewalled for a very good reason - it's windows. i wouldn't trust it outside the firewall.

and why i'm saying this, i don't know. setting up an ftpd and configuring my hardware to accept server connections on this machine and therefore open a whacking great hole in my carefully configured network doesn NOT amount to "ease of use". if you don't mind me saying, it's a bit of a heath robinson way of getting automatic file verification.

maybe i can just get my siteops to upload them to me instead? then it'd crc check on the server. :rolleyes:

DayCuts
02-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Well its on the local network, but when you are talking local/remote if you have to remote into it from a different pc, then i dont concider it local, but anyways i do admit my suggestion wasn't greatly practical.

as for security, the main reason microsoft os based machines are targeted and hit more than linux mahines is because the exploits are more public. Not saying a well done linux distro is not more secure, because i know it is. Just that a big part of why this is so is because the exploits are not spread and/or publicised to the extent of an ms os.

Milgathia
07-05-2004, 12:17 PM
I think I've founded a bug in this app (I know it's free, but I think it's too well done to leave it as is... ;P)

Sometimes the MD5 verification fails even if the hash is correct, in other words it fail to verify.

I've tried this with many others checkers, digestit2004, hashcalc and many others; the only one that fail no checking the md5 hash is flashsfv... :(

I hope you will solve the problem ASAP.

Thank you for your all great work!

Kind Regards

MxxCon
07-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Milgathia
Sometimes the MD5 verification fails even if the hash is correct, in other words it fail to verify.

I hope you will solve the problem ASAP.well you'll need to explain better than just saying sometimes it fails to verify
post md5 file and if the file that fails is not big enough, possibly it too

Milgathia
07-06-2004, 05:57 AM
well you'll need to explain better than just saying sometimes it fails to verify
post md5 file and if the file that fails is not big enough, possibly it too

What mean fails to verify? It's simple: When I try to check MD5 Hashes of certain (usually 500~600 MB) files with FlashSFV, it says CRC Error when it's correct if checked with others MD5 tools.

Which ones? Hash Calc by Slavasoft (http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/overview.htm)

Or DigetsIT2004 (http://digestit.kennethballard.com/)

Or the Microsoft MD5 Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b3c93558-31b7-47e2-a663-7365c1686c08&DisplayLang=en)

Now if the size of the files are big, well what if I say that it happen even with ~10 MB files?

Anyway the hash check fail happen only somethimes, certain big files (Even over 1 GB) are correctly checked, with no errors I mean.

That's the reason why I'm telling you that's a quite strange fact.

I've tested the program on 16 different machines with the same files and the fails happen anyway.

This make me suppose that ther's something wrong inside the program, but mine is just a humble idea.

Kind Regards

DataKill
08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi there,
i used to test the MD5-Hash from the WindowsXP SP2 file and got an error. The orginal hash for the file WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-DEU.exe is:
MD5-Hash: 2fa1439dd7425848ba187213f9b9949f
Try to generate or verify it with FlashSFV2.4c and you will see that the file may be bad. But ist is wrong!!!
The test with TotalCommander generates and verifies it right.

I post now the hashes here:
Orginal and again with TC generated:
2FA1439DD7425848BA187213F9B9949F WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-DEU.exe

With FlashSFV2.4c generated:
7E83D25C01546D9AB3E798EC41BFE93A WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-DEU.exe

All done with the same file! Please can anybody verify this MD5-BUG? It should be fixed asap.

bigstar
08-09-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't happen to have WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-DEU.exe, Do you have a smaller file that you can attach where the same case is true?

DataKill
08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
May you have a fast line?
Try to download the file from here:
http://www.winfuture.de/downloadstart,1092074175,1160.html
*sorry* it is a german site but klick simple Download and all will be fine...

DataKill
08-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I tried it with some short files, and it is okay:
I tried the following:
http://digestit.kennethballard.com/download.html
MD5 for Win32
Both md5-files are okay. The generated shows up the same hash as the orginal file on page.
I think you have to try it with bigfiles *sorry* :(

phyber
08-09-2004, 07:00 PM
It would be nice if we could just right click individual files (or a group of files) and create md5/sfv files. At the moment, it seems this is only possible with directories.

bigstar
08-09-2004, 11:08 PM
You appear to be correct. I'm not sure why it doesn't match. It's quite possible that the MD5 hash routines used in FlashSFV isn't exactly matching the standard. I was under the impression that it was standard. Perhaps there's a flaw in the logic. I will do my best to try and figure out this problem.

Originally posted by DataKill
I tried it with some short files, and it is okay:
I tried the following:
http://digestit.kennethballard.com/download.html
MD5 for Win32
Both md5-files are okay. The generated shows up the same hash as the orginal file on page.
I think you have to try it with bigfiles *sorry* :(

bigstar
08-09-2004, 11:47 PM
It appears there was a bug in the MD5 has routine that I use. The bug was addressed in a newer release of the component.

I'll release an updated version of FlashSFV soon

bigstar
08-10-2004, 11:37 AM
FlashSFV v2.5 has been posted here (http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4795) to resolve this problem.

DataKill
08-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Okay, it works now fine...
Well done :)