View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM  
Gregoriev

Now the connection is MORE broken.

Well, here goes an explanation. When i connected through the onboard connectoin to the xbox using the router, i either connected or got that data connection cannot be made message described above.

However, since i had to have a static IP to acess the xbox, i could not connect to road runner internet, cause i need a dynamic IP given to me by the ISP.

So i added in that D-link card so i would have one for internet and One for xbox. all this was a GREAT idea in concept. However, at first the card had some hardware issue involving resources, i solved that by moving it to a different PCI slot.

THEN i hooked the internet to that card, and left the onboard ethernet and router completely intact, aside from the internet uplink socket being empty. seeing as how it is not connected to the other card.

WELL, now for the results of this seemingly good idea. after i got the D-link to start working with the net, i could browse, etc. HOWEVER, now in flash FXP i don't get any connection whatsoever with my xbox. just says connection failed in red and some retry countdown that is insanely long. (120 sec)

i was really puzzled by this. so i reset my onboards IP to the usual 192.168.0.1 etc. and it did not work. i tried pluggind and unplugging the router, restarting the computer and xbox. and nothing worked.

Just the other day i got a crossover cable for pete sakes, 15 dollars for 10 feet. i hooked it up and it said that the cable was unplugged, i started the xbox and it said the cable was plugged in. (a good sign) i set my ethernet card to 192.168.0.1 again, and once more i got the mean red letters that said connection failed.

Can anyone please help me? it can't be a router problem, because there is none when you use a crossover cable. is it my computer itself? i know gateway does tend to suck. am i using the wrong static IP on the PC? (i will test this tonight with the 192.168.0.111 recomondation) or should i just completely reinstall my OS like i have been meaning to for the last week. (whenever windows gets slow, i don't defragment, i reformat. all my needed files are kept on a second drive, and all my needed programs are on their respective CDs. a pain, but ironically works better than a 5 hour defragment sessoin. )