Thread: Sfv
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 08:02 AM  
Fuser

Default Need for SFV Checking

I see Bigstar's point about the file usually not getting corrupted during transit, and the problem is usually on the server end.

However, this to me does not negate the need for an SFV checker. I would find it extremely usefull to know automatically if the files are not passing sfv checks. This would allow me to see very quickly which files are actually bad as there are in most cases multiple sources to get the file. In some cases, the files are being downloaded into directories that are already part of an existing ftp server. The ftp server checks its uploads for sfv checks, and it would be nice if FlashFXP was checking the downloads automatically. Its not so much laziness either. Sometimes we can be talking about hundreds of different sets of sfv protected files. SFV checking would save a LOT of work. There is another benefit of SFV checking as well; The SFV checker can create files and directories to indicate which files are bad, which directories are incomplete. The FlashFXP user as well as the other users of the FTP site could see this.

I also notice the fact that FlashFXP could just FXP to the site in question which would do the sfv checking instead, but in my experience i cannot get FlashFXP and the local FTP server to do this.