View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM  
hggomes

Hi, you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchalwin View Post
Perhaps there is some problem with my ISP passing encrypted packets inbound? Especially since my NAS sits in DMZ.
I really don't think that's what is happening, it could not be a ISP blocking. I believe it's related with PAM Auth somehow, why are you using DMZ instead of port forwarding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchalwin View Post
Thanks for helping out.

My NAS (thecus 4800) runs a Pure-FTP daemon. Sorry but I can't find the assoc .conf file anywhere on the system.
Probably because it's not running with .conf files, maybe its running via command line switch. Try a 'ps -aux' and see the complete command sequence of 'pure-ftpd' process running on the system. It's similar to the described below, but you sould see the '-l pam' switch instead.

The Pureftpd PAM error could be explained due the non-existance of file in '/etc/pam.d/other'.

You should try to change the authentication mode from PAM to PUREDB, and see if the problems when trying to connect from the outside (WAN) using SSL/TLS encryption still exist:

1. # killall pure-ftpd

2. # pure-ftpd -l puredb:/etc/pureftpd.pdb (Change the Auth login to puredb) -S DNS or IP,PORT (Bind address and port) -Y 1 (Enable SSL/TLS Auth, if you want allow only encrypted logins change the value to '2') -I 1 (Idle Timeout) -A (Chroot) -B (Daemonize) -g /var/pure-ftpd.pid (pidfile) -O stats:/var/xfer.log (logfile) -w (allowuserfxp) -p firstport:lastport (Passive port range)

3. Create users:
# pure-pw useradd USER -u UID -g GID -d HOMEDIR
# pure-pw mkdb

PS:
(The Italic words explain what the switchs are for)
The Bold words can/should be changed for your specific case.

Give a try, good luck.

Last edited by hggomes; 12-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.